LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 leggo7890
|
Hi,

I was a late applicant for this past cycle (applied in February and March) due to taking the January LSAT (scored a 166). Unfortunately, it was not enough as I got rejected/waitlisted from most of my target schools - those in the Top 20 to 25.

I am open to reapplying next year but would just a higher LSAT score possibly open up more opportunities? In my case, I am aiming for 170+ after the chaos of this past cycle.

As September is just 4 months away, there honestly wouldn't be anything else I could add that is truly substantive other than (1) a higher LSAT score and (2) applying much earlier - September/October. I would of course rewrite my essays, however.

Can applying with a higher LSAT score much earlier in the cycle be enough to greatly improve my odds of getting into my dream schools?

I only ask because... It amazes me that just a few points on a single exam (from 166 to 170 which is basically 4-5 more correct answers) can have such a significant difference in law school admissions. How is that possible?

Thank you.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Law schools are, for better or worse, very sensitive to those numbers, leggo7890, as they impact their rankings, which can have some big downstream impacts for the schools and their students when they get into a competitive job market.

The short and simple answer is yes, a higher score can absolutely help you, including perhaps moving you off the waitlist to start at one of your target schools this year. Any increase in your score will improve your chances for acceptance as well as scholarship offers (although it is a bit late to hope for much in the way of scholarships for this cycle, especially give how competitive it is). If you feel you can do better in June than a 166, I would suggest you register asap (deadline is this Friday, the 30th), study hard and practice a lot, and do your best. If you get a positive outcome in the form of an offer you want to accept, great! If not, you will be well positioned to reapply for next year. Although the next cycle will likely still be very competitive with all the folks in the same boat you find yourself in doing the same thing, you should not settle for an offer that would make you unhappy, either because you don't want to attend that school or you don't want to take on that much debt when you might be able to get a scholarship instead.

Go for it! Good luck!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.