LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 bae
|
Hello,

I recently took the July 23, 2018 LSAT and received a score of 151. During my practice my score on my practice tests ranged from a 151-157. I want to get my score up to a 161 at the very least. I plan to retake the exam on the November 17th administration date so that I can still put in my applications by December.

Do you think it is possible to raise my score 10 points in 2 months using the PowerScore prep books? What do you suggest I do to prepare in that amount of time to maximize my score increase?

*Edit.

To give you a better understanding of whether that score increase is possible for me I guess you should know more about my study habits. The very first diagnostic LSAT I took I scored a 140. This was in February of 2018 and I had plans for taking the June 11 test. I self-studied. I used the PowerScore Logic Games Bible, but a different comprehensive book for the other sections. I also took a LOT of practice exams. I'm also in school. Studying during the semester wasn't the best, and towards the end of the semester is when I decided to push my LSAT date to the July 23rd administration so that I could have uninterrupted study time (aside from working a part time job). During my prep between May and July I saw an increase, but then decreases. I spent a lot of time on Logical Reasoning because I felt that since it comprises 50% of the exam I needed to master it. I spent much less time on Logic Games, and Reading Comprehension was in the middle. I scored a 152, then a 151, then a 154, then a 156, then a 152 again, then a 158 (but this was a test I had taken already very early in my studying). Between each exam I reviewed the questions that were incorrect, and the ones I was unsure of. I went back to the concepts and reviewed them and then separated the sections to try and focus on the different portions individually before taking a full exam. On the July 23rd administration date I scored a 151. I now plan on taking the November 17th test and I really think I can get my score up because even though I am in school I am very disciplined. It's my senior year so the classes I'm taking don't require as much from me. I also have a job that allows me to study while at work, and my afternoons and weekends are completely open.
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Bae,

It's absolutely possible to raise your score up by 10 points (or more) in the 3 months we have until the November LSAT! One thing to note is that it is critical to work on all three section types, as a high score requires mastery of all of them. In fact, Logic Games are the area in which we often see the most immediate and largest initial score improvements, because they are the most foreign to students at the outset. Conversely, don't neglect Reading Comprehension practice either; while it is a section type that is common to many standardized tests and you will have undoubtedly have plenty of exposure to it previously, the LSAT is asking for a different understanding of the material than other tests usually do.

In terms of study aids, there is a plethora of information available on the PowerScore blog, the self-study site, and the free LSAT help area, including study plans and tips. The key is to know yourself: what are your strengths and weaknesses, and how can you continue to bolster your strengths while minimizing your weaknesses. Don't ever let yourself bog down either on a test or while studying; if a question is losing you, move on and come back to it if you have time. Similarly, if you start to feel overwhelmed by all the studying you are doing, you can take a break from it and come back to it when you're feeling better and more positive.

And of course, feel free to post any questions you might have here on the forum!
 amap18
|
I took the August LSAT and got a 143. I plan to retake it in November is it possible and if so how would I go about getting 147-153 range in November?
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
amap18 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:18 pm I took the August LSAT and got a 143. I plan to retake it in November is it possible and if so how would I go about getting 147-153 range in November?
Hi amap!

It's definitely possible :D We offer courses, tutoring, and self-study books designed to help you raise your score!

Without knowing your past study history, how you learn best, and your strengths/weaknesses, it's difficult to recommend what's best for you. If you'd like some specific advice, please use this blog post as a guideline: https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/need-l ... -help-you/.

Thanks!
 amap18
|
I took a princeton review course in starting in January planning to take the April LSAT but then had technical difficulty so instead I took it in August where I got a 143. I studied on an d off from April until August. Now I am retaking it in November and ideally I would like to get a 155 in November. I am not sure if that is possible and I'm not sure where or how start studying to get to that point. I think I could probably improve more across the board but I am more consistent on games than anything else. Can you help me figure out somewhat of a study plan to get to a 155 by November?
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
amap18 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:38 am I took a princeton review course in starting in January planning to take the April LSAT but then had technical difficulty so instead I took it in August where I got a 143. I studied on an d off from April until August. Now I am retaking it in November and ideally I would like to get a 155 in November. I am not sure if that is possible and I'm not sure where or how start studying to get to that point. I think I could probably improve more across the board but I am more consistent on games than anything else. Can you help me figure out somewhat of a study plan to get to a 155 by November?
Definitely! This may be easiest to have a specific chat directly about, so feel free to call us at 800-545-1750 or email us at contact@powerscore.com. :)

But generally, it sounds like something like our On Demand Course may be best for you. This is a comprehensive course with 10 structured lessons and corresponding homework per lesson, as well as practice tests with analytics (so you can pinpoint your strengths/weaknesses and track your progress). And because this course is pre-recorded, you can focus on the sessions that cover the portions of the test that you find most difficult, so you can maximize the effectiveness of your prep. The amount of time it takes to complete the course depends on each student, but it's doable within your time frame :).

I hope this helps point you in the right direction! Let us know if you have any questions!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.