LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=11086)

The correct answer choice is (B)

If O is faster than F, then O must be ranked seventh, and F must be ranked eighth. Further, from the second rule, we can infer that G is then ranked first:
June 06_game#4_M12_L3_explanations_game#3_#20_diagram_1.png
The blocks can then be placed in only two arrangements:
June 06_game#4_M12_L3_explanations_game#3_#20_diagram_2.png
As only H or K can be second, answer choice (B) is correct.
 ellenb
|
Dear Dave,

Also, for question number 20, it seems that we can think that either H or K can be second so the local rule does not play that big of an effect? Is that true to make that inference, the dual option that H/K for the second spot?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Ellen
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ellen,

The Local condition does make a difference--not in proving that H could be second, but in disproving that other answer choices could be second in this answer.

You are correct that H or K could be second from a Global perspective in this game. But, so could variables such as G, M, J, and L, each of which appear as an incorrect answer in this question. Thus, the Local condition in the question serves to help out those variables from possibly being correct.

The real question here is, could you just select H knowing that Globally it could be second? No, you couldn't, in part because by that reasoning you could have selected G, M, J or L, too. the Local condition changes the situation for the variables, and you have to see the impact of that condition in order to determine which variable still can rank second.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 rameday
|
Hello,

I have a general question.

So lets say for a logic game you get a question that says " If X is first then which one one of the following could be second" Does that mean that of the 5 answer choices, any of the variables that are not mentioned cannot be 2nd?

So an example of this is Logic game 3 question 20. I assumed that if the variable was not in the answer choices the that mean't it cannot be ranked second. With that I was able to get to the correct answer.

Just wondering if that was a lucky thing or is that a rule that I can use in the future?

Hopefully this makes sense.

A
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi A!

If I understand your question correctly, then no, that is not a correct assumption. In a question like this one, you are looking for any variable that could possibly go 2nd. The incorrect answer are going to be variables that cannot go 2nd.

So one way to approach this question would be to eliminate the answer choices containing variables that cannot be ranked 2nd. J and L can never be 2nd because J has to have at least three before it and L has to have at least four before it (you may have Not Laws which show you this). G cannot be second because if O is ranked higher than F, then O must be 7th, F must be 8th, and G must be 1st. Then, you are left with H and M. You might need to try both of those out to see which one works. M can't go 2nd because then you won't have enough room for you H_J and K__L blocks.

But you cannot assume that the variables not mentioned in the answer choices cannot go 2nd. In this case, K could actually go 2nd as well and you could have: G K M H L J O F.

Remember that this is a Could Be True question which means there is usually more than one variable that could go in that spot, they're just only going to give you one of the possible variables in the answer choices.

Does that make sense?

Best,
Kelsey

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.