LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=15716)

The correct answer choice is (E)

If no Italian film is shown, then from the second rule we can deduce that no Greek film is shown either (this inference is the result of the contrapositive of the third rule). Thus, if no French, Italian, or Greek films are available, only Hungarian, Norwegian, and Turkish films can be shown. Because H and T are randoms, the focus of this question must be on N. From the initial Not Laws, we know that N cannot be shown on day 2 or day 4. Consequently, H or T must be shown on day 2 and day 4. This information proves answer choice (E) correct.
 Mariam
|
This might be an odd question, it took me a minute to figure out whether the answer choice should account for the second N as well as the first. The question stem provides that there must be 2 Norwegian films and asks about "a" Norwegian film so in my prephrase, I included the possible spots for both N's and was a little fumbled when I got to the answer choices and had to reconsider my prephrase. I hope this explanation makes sense. Any advice on better approaching similar questions to avoid wasting time or picking a wrong answer choice?
 Frank Peter
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Mariam,

When answering a must be true question, keep in mind that the correct answer choice simply has to be provably true based on what we're told in the stimulus. Often times, the correct answer choice may only address limited aspects of the game.

I am very happy to hear you are in the habit of prephrasing - it's a very powerful technique, but keep in mind that the concept is primarily taught in the context of LR and RC. The reason why is because in those contexts, it's often very effective to digest what you've read, put it into your own words, and think about what you might be asked about it. In logic games, the mechanics are a bit different than in the other sections. Certainly, you should be thinking about the inferences you've made to help you hone in on which answers choices you might be able to quickly eliminate, but the workflow is a bit different than LR and RC.
 lety.gordill@gmail.com
|
Hello,

I was able to narrow down my choices to C and E, but I was wondering if someone could tell me why answer choice C is wrong.

Thank you!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The short answer, lety, is that answer C does not have to be true because a film in Hungarian could be shown on Day 4, and this is a Must Be True question rather than a Could Be True question.

With French and Italian films out of the retrospective, Greek films must also be out (because Greek films require Italian films the next day). That leaves us with only Hungarian, Norwegian, and Turkish films for the retrospective. Norwegian films cannot be on Day 2 or Day 4, so each of those two days has to be filled by either an H or else a T. That's answer E! C leaves out the possibility of H on 4, making it incorrect.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.