LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is an Unbalanced: Overloaded Basic Linear game.
J06_Game_#1_setup_diagram 1.png
This game is Unbalanced: Overloaded because there are twelve films available to fill six slots. Only six of the films are selected, and the other six are not selected. Note that this scenario allows for films of some languages not to be selected as there is no rule specifying that a film in each language must be shown. Thus, for example, it is possible for both Turkish films not to be shown.

The first rule leads to N Not Laws on day 2 and day 4.

The second rule creates a conditional relationship (note the “unless”), and the conditional relationship leads to an I Not Law on day 6. Note that an N Not Law is not created on day 1 because N can move independently of I. I and N are not in a general block; they only appear as a block when I is present. Because of this interaction between I and N, combining the second rule with the first rule leads to I Not Laws on day 1 and day 3 (if N cannot be shown on day 2, then I cannot be shown on day 1, etc.).

The third rule contains similar language to the second rule, leading to another conditional relationship, this time between G and I. Because of this relationship, G Not Laws can be created on days 2, 5, and 6 (days 2 and 5 because I cannot be shown on days 3 and 6; day 6 because G must always be shown before I).

The last two rules can be combined into one super-rule where the presence of G creates a GIN block. G is thus a very powerful variable in this game and must be tracked at all times.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 WillWork918
|
If the possibility of I or G is limited, how can we ensure that we can create not blocks for the diagram?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
If I understand your question correctly, WillWork918, you're wondering how we can infer the not-laws for I in positions 1, 3, and 6 and for G in positions 2, 5, and 6, is that correct? If so, here's how:

If I was first, then it would have to be part of an IN block, putting N second. But N can never be second, per the rules, so I can
If that wasn't what you were asking, please try us again and we'll take another look!never be first. It cannot be third for the same reason - N cannot be fourth. And it cannot be last because then it would not be part of a mandatory IN block.

If G was second, it would be the start of a GIN block, with I third and N fourth, but as we learned above, I can never be third because N can never be fourth. G cannot be fifth or sixth because there would be no room after it for IN.

While there is no rule that either G or I must be included in the game, we can be sure that IF they are included, they cannot be in those specific places because of their impact on other variables.
 AspenHerman
|
This might be a silly question, but do these conditionals apply to every I and every G that appears? So If two G's appear, it has to be GINGIN as the answer?

I read it as such, but I want to make sure I'm not missing any language. If they wanted to ask where it applied to one or both times, but did not specify, how would they phrase that?

Thank you.

For my reference: Lesson 3 , Basic Linear Game 7.
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Aspen,

Yes, the global rules of the game apply to all instances where the variable is present, and so here, where possible, in this linear game, each G appears, its appearance would need to comply with the rules of the game. In other words, you might think that you could "stack" the G's, i.e. GGININ, or something like that. However, this won't work because the "I" must directly follow the G, so therefore, the setup would have to look exactly as you set it up, with GINGIN. Now, in answer to your second question, if they wanted to allow you to place the G's consecutively, they wouldn't have used the block language, that is language that specifies that the necessary condition (the presence of the "I" or "N") occurs on the very next day. For example, they could have said, I is shown at some time after G, in which case, the block would not be formed.

Let me know if this clear things up, or if you still have further questions!
 AspenHerman
|
atierney wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:20 pm Hi Aspen,

Yes, the global rules of the game apply to all instances where the variable is present, and so here, where possible, in this linear game, each G appears, its appearance would need to comply with the rules of the game. In other words, you might think that you could "stack" the G's, i.e. GGININ, or something like that. However, this won't work because the "I" must directly follow the G, so therefore, the setup would have to look exactly as you set it up, with GINGIN. Now, in answer to your second question, if they wanted to allow you to place the G's consecutively, they wouldn't have used the block language, that is language that specifies that the necessary condition (the presence of the "I" or "N") occurs on the very next day. For example, they could have said, I is shown at some time after G, in which case, the block would not be formed.

Let me know if this clear things up, or if you still have further questions!
It does! thank you for your help.
 concrottrox11@gmail.com
|
Hi,

I have a few questions regarding Game #7:

1) When putting "not rules" on the diagram, why do we disregard "N" but not "G" or "I" since both I and G after being combined to G-> GIN, can be considered to move independently?

2) Why is there a not rule for I under the 3rd slot?

3) Why are A, C, D ruled out as answer choices in Question #1? The HW Explanations say it is because of the 2nd rule, but the 2nd rule is I->IN and I don't see the relation to A, C, D?

4) After combining I->IN and G->GI into G->GIN, can you disregard I->IN and G->GI and soley focus on the G->GIN, as a rule after this?
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
concrottrox11@gmail.com wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:23 pm Hi,

I have a few questions regarding Game #7:

1) When putting "not rules" on the diagram, why do we disregard "N" but not "G" or "I" since both I and G after being combined to G-> GIN, can be considered to move independently?

2) Why is there a not rule for I under the 3rd slot?

3) Why are A, C, D ruled out as answer choices in Question #1? The HW Explanations say it is because of the 2nd rule, but the 2nd rule is I->IN and I don't see the relation to A, C, D?

4) After combining I->IN and G->GI into G->GIN, can you disregard I->IN and G->GI and soley focus on the G->GIN, as a rule after this?
Hi concrottrox,

I have moved your questions to the thread discussing this game setup. Please review the above explanation and discussion, and let us know if that helps or if you still have further questions.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.