LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Questions and Answers related to our course homework and lessons.
 dabaum471
|
Hi. Just a quick question. When you diagram a conditional relationship on the Logical Reasoning and Logic Game sections, do you recommend also drawing out its contrapositive or no?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey D,

The short answer is: sometimes yes, sometimes no. I realize that's not too helpful, so let me expand that a bit :-D

First, the basic rule is to diagram anything only when you feel it will be helpful to you. I describe that thinking here: LSAT Conditional Reasoning: When To Diagram. That goes for all diagramming, not just CPs, and what it means is that what you diagram may change over time. LSAT beginners tend to diagram quite a lot, whereas more experienced LSAT takers diagram a bit less. Each person finds the level where the actions they take help them out.

With contrapositives, I tend to diagram them only when the original rule is not a simple one. So, an original statement such as A :arrow: B is clear enough to me that taking a CP and writing it down doesn't help; I already see the meaning of the CP inherently when I glance at the A :arrow: B representation. On the other hand, a rule such as "If any side has exactly one of its three lights on, then that light is its center light" (which is a rule from a real LSAT game) would have an interesting initial diagram and I would for sure stop and consider the CP, and diagram it. In other words, if I think there's going to be value from looking more deeply at it, then I will stop and consider it and probably draw it out. that not surprisingly happens more often with complicated rules than simple ones (but not always), so I don't take a hard rule on this, and let context help guide me.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.