LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=11905)

The correct answer choice is (E)

Use the final diagram to quickly and easily solve this question. Examine each answer choice and determine whether the two songs must be consecutive, or whether they can be separated in a valid hypothetical.

Answer choice (A): This answer choice is incorrect because S and V can be the fourth and seventh tracks, respectively. While S and V can be consecutive in certain configurations of the game, they do not have to be consecutive, and thus S and V fail to meet the requirements of the question stem (other pairs of variables among the answer choices have the same relationship, such as the pairs in answer choices (B) and (D)).

Answer choice (B): This answer choice can be eliminated because S and W can be the second and fourth tracks, respectively.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice is incorrect because T is always first or second, and Z is always sixth.

Answer choice (D): This answer choice can be eliminated because T and Y can be the first and third tracks, respectively.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice. V must be fifth or seventh, and Z must be sixth, so V and Z are always consecutive, whether as VZ or ZV.
 MitchellBarber
|
I'm on the same game:)

I got tripped up on #12 p 237.
When a question includes "consecutive", then gives ordinal answer choices (e.g., A and B), does this always mean ABA or BAB instead of A then B?

Also, this is my first week with this book or any LG's practice. I am finishing each game with the correct answers in no less than 11min (sometimes 15min). The Not Laws are what seem to slow me down the most. Should I shoot for 3 games and continue with the Not Laws, or seek a workaround?

Thank you, great book!!!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
When they tell us that two variables are consecutive, MitchellBarber, but they don't tell us which comes first, that means they can go in either order. I'm not fond of the "ABA" type of notation, but prefer to show it as "AB or BA," or some other variation that shows that there are two options for the block.

For now, since you're just getting started, don't worry too much about timing. Focus on your accuracy and your efficiency. Are you making the right inferences? Are you correctly reflecting the rules in your diagrams? Are you predicting answers whenever possible, rather than testing all five answer choices? These fundamentals are where you should put your energy, and your speed will improve over time. But if you were to take a practice test right now, I would say you should not rush and attempt to complete all 4 games in the time allotted. Take the time you need to do the best job you can, and if that means you only complete 2 or 3 games and have to guess on the rest, that's okay!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.