LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?f=181&p=88524#p88524)

The correct answer choice is (B).

As noted during the setup, P cannot be the 2nd seminar given on the second day:

In addition, P cannot be the 2nd seminar on the second day as that would force N into the third day, as well as one of the remaining long sessions, G or O. But the long session on the third day would also have to precede T, forcing three seminars (N, G/O, T) into only two sessions.
Accordingly, answer choice (B) is correct.
 nadiaguo
|
I think the rules of this game are wrong or something or that they meant to say, in rules 2 and 3, that Telemarketing will not be given until both Goals and Objections have been given on the days before.

I took the rules at face value and assumed that because the seminars are given two a day, consecutively, in a question like 16 where C is the correct answer choice, C could still be possible if you do something like this:

GH PN OT.

G and O still come before T and P comes before N.

Similarly, in question 17, B can be correct as well D, if you do this:

PN HG OT.

Am I right or am I missing something?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Nadia,

Thanks for the question. I don't think they intended to add the words "on the days before" to either rule. Why? Because that would simplify the game and further limit the number of possible solutions to this game, and I don't think they meant to do that.

When they word the rule as it is worded, it increases the complexity of the game (and the diagramming complexity) because it allows for variables such as N and P to appear on the same day. For example, the last rule states that N won't be given until P is given. This would allow P to be the first session of the day and then N to be the second session of the same day (this happens in question #17, for example).

In your example for question #16, where (B) is the correct answer, all you've shown is that N could be the second session on day 2, which means that (D) is wrong (which is fine--it's not the correct answer).

In #17, I'm not sure if you made a transcription error but your example has N on the first day, not on the second as specified in answer choice (B).

Please let me know if the above helps. Thanks!
 nadiaguo
|
I'm not sure how but I think I def must have mixed up some answer choices and rules when I was thinking this through because what you say makes total sense now. It was probably because I stacked the seminars side by side instead of one above the other, which would have made much more sense. Sorry for the confusion.
 LoThomm
|
I dont understand how the answer is B.. I could literally make answer choices A-E work... How is it B??
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
LoThomm wrote:I dont understand how the answer is B.. I could literally make answer choices A-E work... How is it B??
Hello LoThomm,

Well, G and O are short seminars, so can't have them both on the same day. So if they are spaced out on days 1 and 2, then T is either on day 2 or day 3. If P is given on day 2, along with G or O, then N and T both have to be given on day 3...but they can't, since they're both long. (Also, P can't be on the same day as G or O in any case, since P is short like G and O.)
Alternately, if G and O are given on days 2 and 3: if P is also on day 2 (which it can't anyway, since, again, it's short like G or O), and T is on day 3, then there's not room for N also to be on day 3.
Finally, if G and O were on days 1 and 3: P could fit on day 2, but again, N and T could not both fit on day 3. So, P can't ever be second seminar second day.

Hope this helps,
David
 jojo0001998
|
So is the only and/or the best way to solve this question by process of elimination? I know it's a global cannot be true question, but I didn't get that not law while I was diagramming my inferences. Thanks!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jojo,

I think this is a great example of an inference that you don't see up front, but you can just find out during the game. It's something that you should notice a limitation up front--you have those two sequencing rules---but if you don't determine this inference up front, this question is a great place to find it.

So up front, I'm expecting the correct answer to have to do with those two sequencing rules. When I look at them, I notice that the short seminars are all earlier in their sequence than the long seminars. I'm anticipating the correct answer to either put a short seminar too late, or a long seminar too early.

When I look at the answer choices, I ignore (A) for the moment as it's our random variable. I also ignore answer choices (C) and (E) because they are indistinguishable under the rules. They have the same limitations as one another, so there would be no way for (C) to be the answer instead of (E) or vice versa.

That leaves me with answer choice (B) and (D) to consider as likely options. I'll start with answer choice (B). If I put persuasion in the second part of day 2, that means that N is our long seminar for day 3. T would have to be after both G and O, but since G and O would have to be on different days, there's no room for T. That means that answer choice (B) would not work as a solution to the game, and is our correct answer.

Looking at answer choice (D) just to check. If N is on late 2, that means that P had to be either on day 1 or early 2. It's fine to put it either, and in the other place, put G/O. H would be the long seminar on day 1. G/O (whichever wasn't used) would go early on day 3, and then T would be late on day 3. That works as a solution, and cannot be our correct answer.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.