LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?f=176&p=88283#p88283)

The correct answer choice is (E).

The key to this problem is to read the question stem closely, because it states that “Z is the second suspect to confess.” As Z must be questioned first or second, from the question stem we can infer that Z is questioned second and confesses, and that the suspect questioned first also confesses. As discussed in the setup, only Y or Z can be questioned first, so if Z is questioned second then Y must be questioned first. Thus, Y is questioned first and must confess. Accordingly, answer choice (E) cannot be true and is correct.
 deck1134
|
Hi PowerScore Staff,

I am unsure why Y cannot confess.

My diagram is
_ _ _ N C C N
Y Z T X/V X/V W S

Why does this mean that Y cannot confess?
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi deck! This is a Could Be True Except question, meaning the correct answer will present something that cannot happen. So when E says Y did not confess that's correct because Y MUST confess here!

We know that either Y or Z is always 1st and that Z must always be 1st or 2nd, so when Z is the second confession that means Y is in 1 and Z is in 2. And since there was a confession before Z (since Z is the second confession) that means Y must also have confessed. And that's why E cannot be true and is the right answer!

Fwiw your diagram order looks correct aside from the additional info that both Y and Z confess. So nice work there :)
 zdoz
|
I narrowed it down to B and E. I understand that it cannot be true that Y did not confess.

However, how could it be true that T did not confess? W cannot be first because then Z could not be the second suspect to confess. What other way could make T not confess?
 Erik Christensen
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Zdoz,

Good job in eliminating three incorrect answer choices. The game setup is further discussed here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=2290.

As a first step in your diagramming, you will be able to deduce that T is third, W is sixth and S is seventh. Z must either be first or second as discussed in the game setup thread.

Question #13 further restricts the order of several suspects fairly significantly. If Z is the second suspect to confess, then it means that Z must be second, and the only suspect that is available to be interviewed first is Y (because X and V must be after Z according to the rules). Y must confess (in order for Z to be the second suspect to have confessed), which is why answer choice (E) is correct. T is third and there is nothing in the rules that restricts whether T confessed or didn't confess. The new restriction in question #13 doesn't affect whether T did or didn't confess (because we don't care in the new restriction what happens after Z, only what happens before Z). Furthermore there's nothing else in the original rules that would give us any insight into whether T did or didn't confess. I hope this is helpful. Let us know if you have any more questions.

ERIK

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.