LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?f=172&p=88204#p88204)

The correct answer choice is (C)

Using the templates makes this question relatively easy.

Answer choice (A) can be eliminated because template #2 shows that S could be lower in cost than H.

Answer choice (B) can be eliminated because templates #2 and #3 show that T could be lower in cost than H.

Answer choice (C) is the correct answer. In each of the three templates K must have a lower cost than J.

Answer choice (D) can be eliminated because in template #1 S is not lower in cost than J.

Answer choice (E) can be eliminated because in templates #1 and #3 S is not lower in cost than K.
 wjpoer
|
Hi There -

I did not use templates when I completed this game, but wanted to go back through the questions utilizing the templates to see how they could have helped me.
I do not understand the explanation for this question.

I'm not sure I follow how template #2 shows that S could be lower in cost than H. The template provides two possible slots for S, both being higher in cost than H.

It also says template #2 shows that T can be lower in cost than H, but I do not see that.

Can you help? I am not sure why the templates are confusing me so much on this specific question.

Thanks!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
wjpoer,

The second template is showing that H is lower in cost than K, and that either T or S is also within the first three bids. It's not showing that H is lower in cost than S or T - note the comma separating "H :longline: K" from "T/S". There is no sequencing dash from H to either of T or S there - the parentheses around the first three spaces indicate that the statements within the parentheses are intended to apply to those three spaces generally. So, we're saying that, within the first three spaces, the following facts are true:

H is lower than K

T or S is somewhere

T or S can be 1st in that template, in fact.

I hope that clears everything up.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.