LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Basic Linear: Balanced game.

This Basic Linear game is usually set up vertically because the idea of a layered cake is one that most people see from top to bottom and not from left to right. Of course, as with all linear games, you can set the game up horizontally and still be equally successful.

With the number of each layer as the base, each space will be filled with the layer type, leading to the following basic setup:

PT54-Jun2008_LGE-G3_srd1.png

With this basic setup in mind, we can analyze each of the rules.

Rule #1. This rule is easy to represent as a vertical not-block:

PT54-Jun2008_LGE-G3_srd2.png

As with all unfixed blocks or not-blocks, you can also use a circle to represent both possibilities:

PT54-Jun2008_LGE-G3_srd3.png

No Not Laws can initially be drawn from this block.

Rule #2. This rule is also easy to represent, as a vertical block:

PT54-Jun2008_LGE-G3_srd4.png

This block creates two Not Laws: M cannot be the first layer and L cannot be the top layer. The Not Laws can be drawn either to the left of the base or the right of the spaces; the choice is yours. The diagram thus appears as:

PT54-Jun2008_LGE-G3_srd5.png

Rule #3. This rule creates a vertical sequence that includes the second rule:

PT54-Jun2008_LGE-G3_srd6.png

This sequence yields several more Not Laws:

PT54-Jun2008_LGE-G3_srd7.png

The size of this sequence also creates inferences when it is linked to the first rule. Remember, always check each former rule when a new rule is presented. In this case, because S is at the “top” of the sequence, and because R and S can never be consecutive, we can infer that R can never be the fifth layer. This occurs because if R is fifth, then S cannot be fourth or sixth. But, from the Not Laws, S cannot be first, second, or third. Thus, R can never be fifth.

Turning the inference around, if S is fifth, then R must be first or third. This occurs because if S is fifth, then R can never be fourth or sixth. Because of the LM block at the “bottom” of the sequence, if R is second, then there is no room for the LM block. Thus, R cannot be second and can only be first or third when S is fifth:

PT54-Jun2008_LGE-G3_srd8.png

The rules and inferences above, combined with the fact that V is a random, lead to the final setup for the game:

PT54-Jun2008_LGE-G3_srd9.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 dustin.lm
|
Hello,

I have a question about vertical games. I ran across a more recent LSAT logic game which was vertical. It was a 6 layer cake (first layer is the bottom), and it had 1 flavor, unique for each layer, S, O, V, R, M, and I believe the last flavor was L. The rules say R can not be immediately before or after S. M must be immediately above L. S is somewhere above O and M is somewhere below O. Anyways I was curious on the best way to do a vertical set-up for the game. I ended up spending too much time trying to make inferences and thus struggled with the game questions. Could you help? Thanks

Dustin.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Dustin,

That game is from the June 2008 LSAT--it's the third game on that exam. It's a Basic Linear game, and as you note, the setup should be vertical. They more or less force that as the setup because the scenario talks about a bottom layer, and each layer covering the layer below it. Then, the rules all talk about above or below layers. All this really means is that instead of a horizontal setup, you have a vertical one, but all of the rules then work in the same fashion as they would in a horizontal game.

From an inference standpoint, there a bunch of Not Laws, but none of the variables can be placed (at best you get three Not Laws on the 1st and 6th layers, and thus a triple option on each). The key to the game is the vertical sequence of:

..... ..... ..... ..... ..... S

..... ..... ..... ..... ..... v

..... ..... ..... ..... ..... O

..... ..... ..... ..... ..... v

..... ..... ..... ..... ..... M
..... ..... ..... ..... ..... L

That sequence, when combined with the vertical RS not-block, pushes a lot of variables around.

I kind of get the feeling that the verticality of the game threw you off. Go back and look at this one again, because if you laid it on its side, it is just like any other horizontal Basic Linear game. Alternatively, think about taking a "typical" Basic Linear game and diagramming it vertically--that shouldn't cause you much confusion (or any, really).

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 LSAT1416
|
Hi Dave,

When I completed this question, I turned it horizontally because that was a measure that I was more comfortable with. In this question set it didn't appear to cause me any issues. If there a harm associated with flipping problems like this? If so is there an example which could demonstrate this?
 Daniel Stern
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
As long as you are accurately capturing all the game information, not becoming confused by rules that refer to relative vertical placement (e.g. above, below) and getting the questions right, there is nothing wrong with what you are doing.

However, PowerScore strongly recommends -- and I strongly agree with them -- not flipping a setup that is intuitively vertical into a horizontal diagram. It can be dangerous to do this, particularly under the time pressure of an actual LSAT.

The fear with flipping something that is naturally or intuitively vertical -- such as the layers of a cake in this game, or floors of an office building, or bookshelves -- into a horizontal diagram is that you will not consistently translate the information about vertical placement given in the scenario/ rules and in local questions into your horizontal diagram. Are you remembering that "above" in the text always means "to the right" on your horizontal diagram? Mistake this even one time, and you could cost yourself an accurate diagram and points on the test.

But as I say at the outset, any diagramming method that is helping you to pick up points is perfectly fine! Just be extra careful if you are flipping things away from the way they naturally are and the way that LSAT's text is going to refer to them.

Best,
Dan
 angelsfan0055
|
So I diagrammed this game vertically but it took me a bit, because first I did it (correctly) where the only options for the top are SVR and the only options for the bottom are RVL. However, I then looked at the answers to the hypothetical list as well as the idea of it being a "bottom layer" and for some reason envisioned that "L" would be on top, thinking that the cake went inward.

I then realized this was not right and switched it back and the game became manageable.

I guess what I'm asking is, how can I prevent this internal confusion from happening again? how can I prevent myself from overthinking?
 Ryan Twomey
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Angels Fan,

There are two options to fix this.

Option 1: continue to diagram the game vertically, and just label the diagram: top on the top and bottom on the bottom. Do this before writing a rule like M is immediately above L. This should fix the confusion. Labeling your diagram can be a huge help.

Option 2: You could draw this horizontally like other sequencing games and label the diagram as well. You could label the right side of the diagram "top" and the left side of the diagram "bottom". I have found some of my students like the consistency of drawing horizontal diagrams, but both of these two options are totally fine. Try both options and see which one is easier for you to do this game, and keep that method moving forward. I have found that students have different preferences and they should do whichever method is correct for them.

Takeaway from option 1 and 2: Your key to success in both options is to label the diagram with a "top" and a "bottom".

I really hope this helps.

Best,
Ryan
 amb8ds
|
Somewhat surprised this was not an identify the templates set up, as there are only three basic templates based on the LM block, with limited solutions inside those three templates.
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Yes, and this is a common issue with template games: identifying when to use them! My advice is to not worry so much about the identification and really just let it come to you. Once you identify the proper set up, always be on the lookout for any patterns that might manifest, but I wouldn't worry too much if you miss some of them on the initial construction. One of the good things (for me at least) about the games is that they allow for a piecemeal discovery "process," information from local questions, global questions, and that which can be gleaned from general familiarity allow you to get a more detailed picture of the game's workings as you go. The important point is to not be discouraged at the start of any game, and always be actively searching for new connections as you work through the game. A lot of this will occur without you even being aware of it. Just keep your head, remain poised, and keeping chugging along!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.