LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?f=169&p=88159#p88159)

The correct answer choice is (D).

As discussed during the analysis of the first two rules, either J or L is always on stage. Thus, K can never be the only woman on stage, and answer choice (D) is correct.
 SLF
|
Regarding LSAT #54, Section #3, Question group 1-5...

As I understand the rules, they are:

Jon :arrow: Loff
Loff :arrow: Jon
Foff :arrow: Joff
Any Females :arrow: Gon

So, with question #2...on my first pass through it, A and B seemed like they could be true given that none of the rules prevented them. But then, C, D, and E all seemed like they could not be true because of the fourth rule requiring G to be on-stage too.

After a bit of head-scratching, I realized that just because a given answer choice stated a given sex was on stage, that said nothing about the opposite sex...other than the constraints of the rules.

So, with this additional insight, I re-processed each answer choice...and I STILL could not find anything that could not be true.

With answer choice A, if dancers F and G are the only males on stage, then by the rules, either female dancer J or L must also be on stage...but since the answer choice does not "deny" J or L, then the answer choice "could" be true.

With answer choice B, if male dancers G and H are the only males on stage, then by the rules, female dancer L could be on stage...and the answer choice "could" be true.

With answer choice C, if J is the only female dancer on stage, then by the rules, male dancer G is also required...but because this male is not "denied" specifically, then the answer choice "could" be true.

With answer choice D, if K is the only female dancer on stage, then by the rules, male dancer G is also required...but because this male is not "denied" specifically, then the answer choice "could" be true.

With answer choice E, if J and K are the only female dancers on stage, then by the rules, male dancer G is also required...and F would also be on stage...but because these males are not "denied" specifically, then the answer choice "could" be true.

What am I missing?
 Jacques Lamothe
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey SLF,

Your understanding of the clues is correct, and all your analysis of each answer choice is really good. The issue preventing you from finding that (D) is the correct answer is focusing on only one of the rules. You're right that G must be on stage and that the answer of "Keiko is the only woman on stage." does not deny that. The problem is that another woman must be on the stage.

The second clue tells us that is L is off, J must be onstage. If we take the contrapositive of that rule, we see that, if J is off, L must be onstage. So we know that at any time during the show, L or J must be onstage. (D) cannot be true since, if K is the only woman on stage, neither J nor L can be onstage at that time.

As a general note, it's always helpful to write down the contrapositives of any conditional rules you are given.

I hope this helps!

Jordan

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.