LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Pure Sequencing game.

Because all of the rules are sequential in nature, this is classified as a Pure Sequencing game. However, we will use an Advanced Linear stack to handle the day/night-shift designations, and so if you initially classified this as an Advanced Linear game, you are not incorrect.

The rule about the day/night shifts translates as follows:

PT55-Oct2008_LGE-G3_srd1.png

Within these possible shift assignments, F and R must always be day shifts.

The initial stacked game scenario thus appears as follows:

PT55-Oct2008_LGE-G3_srd2.png

Each of the five rules is simple to understand. Although there are different ways to draw out the relationships, the following sequence is one correct representation:

PT55-Oct2008_LGE-G3_srd3.png

From this sequential diagram we can deduce that either F or R must be first, and that either H or T must be last. In addition, because F and R are always day-shift crews, the first crew must be a day-shift crew. This leads to the final diagram for the game:

PT55-Oct2008_LGE-G3_srd4.png

While additional Not Laws could be placed on the diagram, the sequence is so powerful that these are unnecessary.
 srcline@noctrl.edu
|
Hello

How do I set this game up, the second part of the stimulus is tripping me up, I initially set this game up with stacks, Day shift and Night Shift. Looking over the questions, however, I'm assuming this doesn't matter because its sequencing game?

Thankyou
Sarah
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Sarah,

An easy way to think of this Sequencing game is in two parts: first, the sequencing of the six workers; second, the dual-option night shift labels (either G and T, or else S and H).

For the ordering, you can create a master sequence with all six variables connected by the rules, but that's awfully hard to show here (it's not complicated at all to produce, but the spatial/formatting limitations of a forum make it tough to display). This should give you some idea though.

..... > S > H
R
..... > T
F > G

Note that R connects a lot: R is ahead of S > H, and F > G and R are ahead of T.

So F or R could be 1st, T gets pushed down to at least 4th, T or H is 6th, and so on.

There's more variability than you might think though: S could go anywhere from 2nd (with R 1st) to 5th (with H 6th), including any spot in between. So be careful!

And now it's pretty easy!

The only thing left to keep track of is whether you're dealing with the G/T or S/H night shift situation, and there's only one question, #16, that even touches on it. (The answer by the way is that either G/T or S/H would work, so you just get rid of the four answers that don't allow either a GT or SH block in spots 5 and 6)

I hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.