LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?f=160&p=87962#p87962)

The correct answer choice is (B)

The question stem stipulates that the same pair of people move both the recliner and the table. This can only occur under the 2-2-1-1, and the remaining two people must both move the sofa.

Answer choice (A) can be eliminated because from the third rule G and J cannot move the same piece of furniture.

Answer choice (B) is the correct answer.

Answer choice (C) can be eliminated because according to the second rule, when J moves the table then M must move the recliner, but that is impossible because H and J both move the recliner.

Answer choice (D) can be eliminated because if H and M move both the recliner and the sofa, then G and J must both move the sofa, a violation of the third rule.

Answer choice (E) can be eliminated because from the first rule when G moves the sofa then H must move the recliner, but that is impossible because J and M both move the recliner.
 mcdonom4
|
Hello! :)

So I was having a lot of trouble narrowing down the answer choices in this problem. Mainly, I kept making hypotheticals using the answers, but all of them (except (A) which blatantly breaks the third rule) apparently could be true. I'm sure I'm missing something! Do you have any ideas?
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Mcdonom,

You are right about Choice (A)

Choice (B) is a valid possibility

Choice (C) would require us to make H and J move the Recliner and Table and thus M and G move the Sofa, since everyone must move at least one piece of furniture. However, if J moves the Table, M must move the recliner, which is not possible if H and J are the two moving the Table

Choice (D)
would similarly force us to make G and J team up on moving the Sofa, which is forbidden according to the final rule

Choice (E) would force us to put H and G in the Sofa group. According to the first rule, if G moves the Sofa, then H must help move the recliner, which is impossible in this scenario.

In all three of these answers, you did not see the rule violation, that involved the pair moving the Sofa. My guess is that you weren't considering what would occur in the Sofa group, since the question directly asks you only about the Recliner and Table groups. In the future, make sure to consider the entire game board if you are considering whether to put a variable in a part of it.
 kbreann01
|
Hello,

I am wondering how we know that when they say "Which one of the following could be a pair of people who help each other move both the recliner and the table?" they mean in the same game/diagram?

When I read this question I thought they meant just in general, and from question 9 I had two separate diagrams one with H and M on Table and one with H and M on Recliner in the other. So, I picked that H and M could go with each other on both of these. But, I did not realize they meant in the same game.

Thank you :-D

Kathryn
 Paul Popa
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Kathryn,

Great question! With logic game questions, it's very important to approach each question with a fresh pair of eyes to avoid potentially being misled. You can definitely use work from previous questions to help you answer future questions (especially global questions, like this one) but make sure you're treating each question stem independently and on its own merits. This game has us assigning four people to move three different pieces of furniture. When looking at question 10, we see they are asking for a configuration in which the same two people help move the recliner and the table, thus forcing the remaining two people to help move the sofa. Answer choice B, in which Grace and Maria help move the recliner and the table and Heather and Josh help move the sofa, does this without violating any of the rules and is thus correct. Hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.