LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=1452)

The correct answer choice is (A)

This question can be brutally difficult to answer without a clear understanding of the candidate pool available for the two mauve toys (note how the correct answer is the one answer that includes a mauve toy).

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (B): When L and T are not mauve, then only U and V are available to be the two mauve toys, a violation of the fifth rule. Thus, this answer choice can never occur and is incorrect.

Answer choice (C): When L and U are not mauve, then only T and V are available to be the two mauve toys. However, this creates a violation of the fifth rule because both U and V are selected. Thus, this answer choice can never occur and is incorrect.

Answer choice (D): When T and U are not mauve, then only L and V are available to be the two mauve toys. However, this creates a violation of the fifth rule because both U and V are selected. Thus, this answer choice can never occur and is incorrect.

Answer choice (E): When T and V are not mauve, then only L and U are available to be the two mauve toys, a violation of the sixth rule. Thus, this answer choice can never occur and is incorrect.
 cpassaro
|
I'm lost on this game and I feel like I'm missing an inference. With a lot of time and effort, I was able to answer #12, 13 and 16 correctly, but I'm stumped on the others.

Could you please explain them?

Thanks
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey cpassaro - thanks for the questions. First, it will be helpful to refer to this previous post regarding the setup: lsat/viewtopic.php?f=156&t=1452.

Question 14 is probably best answered by simply finding what violations are committed by the four wrong answers, B-E. So let's look at them quickly:

B. When L and T are not mauve, then only U and V are available to be the two mauve toys, a violation of the fifth rule.
C. When L and U are not mauve, then only T and V are available to be the two mauve toys. But this violates the fifth rule because both U and V are selected.
D. When T and U are not mauve, then only L and V are available to be the two mauve toys. However this again violates the fifth rule because U and V are selected.
E. When T and V are not mauve, then only L and U are available to be the mauve toys, a violation of the sixth rule.

Thanks!

Jon
 Mmjd12
|
Hi,

I understand why the choices B through E don’t work, I chose (A) because I knew there had to be a mauve included, but I cannot find a configuration for choice A that actually conforms to the rules?

How can Ignuanadon or Plateosaur fit into the diagram without their assigned colors?
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Mmjud12!

In short, either the iguanodon or the plateosaur, but not both, can appear in the display.

For example, one configuration that fits with the rules involves a green lambeosaur, a mauve velociraptor, a red stegosaur, a mauve tyrannosaur, and a yellow plateosaur. Another configuration involves a green lambeosaur, a mauve velociraptor, a red stegosaur, a mauve tyrannosaur, and a green iguanodon.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.