LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=1451)

The correct answer choice is (B)

If O auditions on Thursday and Saturday, then the condition in the third rule is met:

G2-Q7-d1.png

From the first rule, then, R must audition on Friday and Saturday:

G2-Q7-d2.png

Of course, because an actor must audition on Wednesday, and O1 and R1 audition later in the week, G1 must audition on Wednesday:

G2-Q7-d3.png

G2 can then audition on Friday or Saturday (in order to satisfy the second rule).

Wednesday and Saturday do not appear as an answers, but Wednesday and Friday do appear together, and thus answer choice (B) is correct.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 reop6780
|
I really think the correct answer is A but it says B is the correct anwer.

When Otto: T, S

Raines: .F, S due to the first rule.

As all four days must be included, Otto: W, ?

Also, with the second rule?, i thought? must be T as Otto: T, S.

Why is B the correct answer then?
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
reop,

If Otto auditions on both Thursday and Saturday, then Raines cannot have his first audition earlier than Friday. Since he needs to audition on separate days, this means Raines auditions on Friday and Saturday.

We just have Gombrich left to allocate.

Each day needs to have someone on it, and O and R are totally allocated, so G must audition on Wednesday. The last thing we need to fulfill is "There is at least one day on which both Gombrich and Raines audition." This makes answer choice (A) not work, but (B) does work.

If this still does not make sense, let me know!

Robert Carroll
 haganskl
|
Hello!
Robert Carroll’s explanation above makes sense to me but it seems to me that this should be a must be true question. Based on the 2nd rule, G must audition on Friday and based on the stim, G also must audition on Wednesday. Am I missing something here? I’ve gone over it about 4 times now. I’m confused because based on my understanding, a CBT answer choice could also be false?
A MBT CANNOT be false
A CBT COULD be false
Maybe I’m just overthinking it.

Thanks in advance!
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi hagan,

There are a couple important technicalities of the LSAT at work here that you should keep in mind for this and future similar questions:

1. The "Could Be True" notion (in the LSAT world) includes things that Must Be True. So, the correct answer to a Could Be True question can sometimes be something that Must Be True. Intuitively, this is because the notion of "Could Be True" simply means something that has some (undefined) greater-than-zero chance of being true. 100% is a greater-than-zero chance, so it's included in the idea of Could Be True.

2. The "Could Be False" notion (in the LSAT world) is different from Could Be True. It means there's some chance of the answer being false, OR that the answer is "Not Necessarily True." Something that is "Not Necessarily True" is something that is not 100% true. Thus, a "Could Be False" answer could be something that is NEVER true (which can't occur with a Could Be True).

We sometimes sum this up this way:

Must Be True = things that are true 100% of the time
Could Be False = Not Necessarily True = things that are true anywhere from 0% to 99% of the time

Could Be True = things that are true anywhere from 1% to 100% of the time
Cannot Be True = things that are true 0% of the time

The first pair (Must Be True/Could Be False) are true logical opposites of one another. The second pair (Could Be True/Cannot Be True) are also true logical opposites of one another.

I hope this helps!

Jeremy
 haganskl
|
This helps clarify my confusion. Thank you!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.