LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=2097)

The correct answer choice is (B)

If V volunteers, then using the contrapositive a long chain results:

G2-Q8-d1.png

The only two variables unaccounted for are F and S, and neither is affected by any of the conditions in the chain above. Thus, F and S can separately volunteer or not volunteer.

Answer choice (A) can be eliminated because R cannot volunteer.

Answer choice (B) is correct because it is possible for both F and S to volunteer.

Answer choice (C) can be eliminated because M cannot volunteer.

Answer choice (D) can be eliminated because T cannot volunteer.

Answer choice (E) can be eliminated because T cannot volunteer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The correct answer choice is (B)

If Veena volunteers, we know from the last rule that Terry does not volunteer. And if Terry does not volunteer, that triggers the contrapositive of the second rule, that Masatomo does not volunteer. And if Masatomo does not volunteer, that triggers the contrapositive of the first rule, that Rochelle does not volunteer. From these inferences, we're able to eliminate each of answer choices A (which has Rochelle), C (which has Masatomo), and D and E (which have Terry).

We don't know whether or not Salman or Felicia volunteer. Their status is uncertain.

Answer choice (A): Rochelle cannot volunteer with Veena, therefore this answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. Notice it includes the variables whose status we're uncertain about (a common theme for the correct answer in Could Be True questions).

Answer choice (C): Masatomo cannot volunteer with Veena, therefore this answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (D): Terry cannot volunteer with Veena, therefore this answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (E): Terry cannot volunteer with Veena, therefore this answer choice is incorrect.
 emma4832
|
Could someone help me understand how to arrive at the correct answer choice?

I'm getting confused because I thought we could ONLY have V or S - and if we have V - then we would need to eliminate answer choices B and E.
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Emma,

Be careful with that third rule, which is diagrammed: NOT S :arrow: V (contrapositive: NOT V :arrow: S).

This rule is explained in more detail in our blog post here: https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/the-mo ... rule-lsat/.

That rule means we have to have at least one of S or V (and it allows us to have both). The one thing that rule stops us from doing is leaving both S and V out of the group (since if S is out, V must be in; and if V is out, S must be in).

Given that rule, in this question we are allowed to have both F and S (and we wouldn't be allowed to have T, M, or R), as answer choice B correctly states.

I hope this helps!

Jeremy
 atdale1980
|
I haven't seen it phrased here, but what made this answer click for me was that in looking at the long chain, since S is "behind" V and F is "with" V in the chain, then those two have no bearing on being in or out if V is in - in case that helps anyone.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Well put, atdale1980! When we look at that contrapositive that starts with V being in, it tells us nothing about either F or S, so either or both could be in. Excellent!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.