LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to LSAT Reading Comprehension.
 cking2014
|
This is the section that frustrates me the most, so I was hoping I could get some help, and maybe different ways to approach passages. No matter how long I take to do a passage, I still get 2 (rare) - 5 wrong per passage set of questions. Whether I try to do it in 8:45 or whether I give myself 10-15 minutes, I'm still getting them wrong. When I diagram, I forget anyway, it's like I didn't even diagram when I start looking at the questions. So, diagramming, for the most part doesn't seem to help me, but, also, if I don't notate anything, I still forget where things were mentioned, for the most part. Also, it takes me about 3 1/2 to 4 minutes to read each passage, whether or not I understood it. So this section kills me!!! I need help!!!! Can anyone give me some new approaches or styles which might help me to succeed on this section? Thanks!
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for your questions; I can tell you that you're not alone in finding the Reading Comprehension section particularly challenging. I'd like to know more about the approach that you've developed thus far; may I ask how you have gone about preparing up to this point? Classes, practice tests, books? Let me know--thanks!
 cking2014
|
I have been studying this test for over 2 years, on and off, and have spent all of those two years working with the princetion review. Nothing seemed to help. I have taken probably about 15 or so practice tests, and I am also currently enrolled in the full length lsat course by powerscore, but still with no luck. It's a little strange because I would usually get anywhere from 0-3 questions wrong per passage (depending on difficulty) but now I'm lucky if I only get three wrong per passage. I am just so frustrated, and now we just finished lesson 7, with still no improvement. I'm really not sure what to do at this point. I'm not that slow of a reader, but when I have to notate things, it slows me down considerably. So a normal reading speed for me per passage without notating is about 3 minutes to 3 minutes 10 seconds. But with notating, it's usually closer to 4 minutes, which also kills me. Also, like I said, notating doesn't usually help, because I end up re-reading everything anyway. I don't know how I can get better. I have never finished all four passages. The test is coming up soon, and I may have to post pone it, mainly because of this section, but I'm not stellar at the rest either. I would love your help!
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for your detailed response. It's good that you've taken several practice tests--along the way I'm sure you've seen some increase in your comfort with the test; familiarity with the language they use and with some of the recurring concepts can be really helpful. It's great that you're taking the PowerScore class as well; regular discussion of LSAT concepts--even in areas where you have some comfort--should further crystallize your understanding of the LSAT and the skills it seeks to test.

As for your questions about the Reading Comprehension section of the test, you are certainly in good company--a lot of people don't love RC. You're pretty precise with regard to your pacing--do you find that every passage takes you roughly the same amount of time? How much do you think it varies? Also, do you generally do the passage sets in order? Let me know--thanks!
 cking2014
|
Depending on the difficulty, the amount of time it takes me varies. The shortest amount of time I have ever used and missed only 2 questions was 9 minutes. But, that has only happened once. I usually take about 10-11 minutes per passage and usually get at least 3 wrong. I do usually do them in order, I've tried doing them out of order, but I am not a very good judge of which ones will be the most difficult. Unfortuanately, I did end up having to postpone the test until December. But I still want to nail this section! I find myself dreading to practice this section, and I want to avoid it as much as I can because I continue to fail. I know one part is to change the attitude, but that is obviously not my only problem. What do you think my next step should be? Am I really reading to slow? I did a reading comp yesterday and today, and with notating, it took me almost 4 and a half minutes.
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
To begin with, I would strongly advise that you fight the inclination to do the passages in order. Since this is a paper based test, you have the liberty to skip around--use it! Statistically, there is only a one in four chance that the first passage presented will be your favorite passage of the section. Try taking the first minute or two to look at all four passage sets, just reading enough to get a feel for the language, and choose the one written in the language that feels most accessible to you.

On a related note, have you found the course helpful? Have you been able to apply any of the lessons from the Reading Comp sections to your preparations? Let me know--thanks!
 cking2014
|
I will definitely try to look at the passages and decide which ones might be easier for me to do. I have found the course helpful, but I am plateaued at one score, and have been for months. I understand the material in class and on the homework. I am usually at about 80% accuracy, sometimes 90%, but the second I am being timed, I sabotage myself. Just knowing I'm being timed, even if it doesn't count ruins me. I have been prescribed a stage fright/test anxiety drug, and have started taking some herbs to calm me down, but nothing seems to work. I'm not perfect in class or the homework, but I do much worse once I am being timed.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey, if you don't mind, I'd like to jump in and add a comment. You said that, "I am usually at about 80% accuracy, sometimes 90%, but the second I am being timed, I sabotage myself. Just knowing I'm being timed, even if it doesn't count ruins me." First, that's a pretty common feeling--no one likes being timed! It may help to know that just about everyone feels that same pressure/anxiety when the clock starts. Second, since you perform fine when untimed, it's not your ability, it's how you look at the clock. So, if you aren't already, start timing yourself in everything you do--practice tests, homework problems, drills, etc. Try to get used to the idea of the clock running so you can stop focusing on the timer and start focusing on the questions. Literally, time yourself so much that you stop thinking about the fact you are getting timed. The goal is to make that environment second-nature, and not something special that only happens on occasion.

Try that for a bit, and let me know if it has any effect. There are other possible solutions out there, but I've seen this one work for a lot of people in the past.

Thanks!
 cking2014
|
Thanks! I will definitely try that! As of last week, I started religiously timing myself on everything, but the drills. And, I do still have the problem, but then again, I only just started it, so I will continue to time myself no matter what. I really hope this works, thanks for the advice!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.