LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to LSAT Reading Comprehension.
 crottman21
|
I have trouble reading quickly and remembering the information. I just finished the class and I don't really remember everything that we were told about reading comp strategies? Could you brief me on these? Also is it best to finish three well rather than going quickly through 4?
 Lucas Moreau
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello, crottman,

Reading Comprehension strategies mainly fall under two categories: VIEWSTAMP analysis and annotating/diagramming passages.

VIEWSTAMP is analyzing the VIEWpoints (who's speaking or being spoken for, and where), the Structure (how the argument or information in the passage is arranged), the Tone (the author's expressed opinion, explicit or implicit, within the passage), the Arguments (the substance of what the author is actually saying), and the Main Point of the passage. That is outlined in Lesson 2.

Annotating and diagramming are mainly about leaving "notes to yourself" in the passage, marking where important information is, indicating definitions or dates or relevant questions and the like. That is outlined in Lesson 6.

Finally, all else being equal, I would say that yes, it is better to finish three well rather than race through four. You want to finish as many questions as possible, but not so fast and shoddy that you sacrifice accuracy. Ideally, you want to complete a section without racing, but that takes time and practice.

Hope that helps,
Lucas Moreau

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.