LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to LSAT Reading Comprehension.
 cmorris32
|
Hi PowerScore,

I am struggling to formulate a solid study plan for RC. I took the August LSAT and I'm retaking in November. My goal score is 170 and my most recent practice tests have been 168, 167, 171, 170. I am struggling with studying for RC though. In my most recent practice tests, I have been ranging from 0-1 wrong in games, 1-2 in LR, and around 5-6 wrong in RC. I would really love to improve my RC skills to the point where I am getting 3-4 wrong (or even less!!). I'm not really sure what to do to get to that point. When I was studying for my August test, I worked on the PowerScore Skills Tests and I also read the RC Bible. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to go from here?

Thank you in advance!
 Frank Peter
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Cmorris,

First of all, congrats! Sounds like your hard work is paying off. When you are in your score range, it's more about fine-tuning your approach; normally, the best way to do that is to work with a private tutor. Since I'm not really sure what you're specifically struggling with, my high level advice would normally be to tell you to de-prioritize RC passage topics you find more challenging (i.e. many test-takers struggle with the science and law-related passages). But if your goal is a 170, you would really need to feel comfortable with RC across the board. Have you considered working with a private tutor?
 cmorris32
|
Hi Frank!

Thank you so much for your response. I worked with a private tutor preparing for the August test, and it helped so much getting my average RC score down from around 10 per section to around 5-6 per section. Would you recommend continuing with a tutor for a little bit to prepare for my November test?

I am also having a hard time determining what I am struggling with in RC, since it seems like I am just getting random questions wrong (although I know what I'm getting wrong has some type of cause). Sometimes I run out of time during the last passage, sometimes I get the parallel questions wrong, sometimes it's questions that I didn't find text-based evidence for.

Thank you again for your response and any further advice :)
 Frank Peter
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I would recommend it, especially if you are having a hard time figuring out what you are struggling with. Tutors can help you to spot trends in the types of questions you are continually getting wrong. It also sounds like you may be having some issues with timing and section management, which a tutor can also help you with.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.