LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to LSAT Reading Comprehension.
 deke97
|
I'm taking the August LSAT and reading comprehension is my worst section. When I use VIEWSTAMP, I seem to lose track of what the passage is actually saying so I actually don't really keep track of those things. Do you have any tips on how I can improve my score in reading comp and also implement VIEWSTAMP without losing track of what the passage is saying? I watched one of the clinics about different tests to do while doing reading comp, like the prediction test and comprehension and I practiced with that some but it didn't seem to help me too much with my score or maybe I didn't practice enough with it.
Also because my test is so close, do you think that I should focus on making my scores in the other two sections better or continue to work on reading comp to improve it. I'm pretty good at logic games, though I tend to run out of time but usually every question I answer, I get right. Logical reasoning could use some work. I tend to miss 5-7 questions when I take practice tests.
Btw my target score is 170. Its high but shoot for the stars, fall amongst the moon am I right?
Any advice would be helpful! Thank you!
 Paul Marsh
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi deke! It sounds like you're doing a great job to prepare for the test, and working hard to implement a lot of the tips and tricks we talk about. Nice going, and keep it up!

If you find yourself losing track of what the passage is about, one thing that many students can find helpful is pausing in between paragraphs on RC passages. After each paragraph, take a second to think about the "main point" of that paragraph. What was that paragraph about in a few words? How does that paragraph tie in with the structure of the rest of the passage? You can keep that paragraph summary in your head, or write it down quickly if that helps. That way, you can create a running outline of the passage as you go. Then when you get to the end of the passage, take another quick second to think about the Main Point for the passage as a whole, by tying together the main points of each paragraph that you already made. This usually leads in nicely to the first question for the passage (typically a Main Point question), but even if there isn't a Main Point question it's still key for having a good understanding of the passage before you dive into the questions.

Also, remember that while VIEWSTAMP can be a very useful framework and tool, it is not The One Way of diagramming a RC passage. Unlike LG and LR, there isn't as much of a "correct" way to approach RC passages since everyone reads and retains information differently. For example I pick up on and remember Tone words very well when I read so I don't really feel the need to underline them, whereas underlining and calling attention to specific Viewpoints (e.g. "Hobbes argues...") I find extremely helpful. If you find yourself getting too bogged down with underlining small details and missing the big picture, then maybe try underlining less. When you go back and review RC passages you've done, be critical of your underlining/diagramming. Which parts that you underlined ended up being essential for understanding the passage and answering the questions? Which ones didn't end up being helpful? Were there parts that you should have underlined but you didn't?

Hope that helps! Keep up the good work.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.