LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Method-Argument Part. The correct answer choice is (C).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 Bmas123
|
Hi, I was in between answers A and C for this, and ultimatley went with A. The "indirect support" claim from C initially threw me off because I thought that the example was directly supporting the conclusion that the philosopher are wrong. However, I can now see that the indirect part is correct since it is an example of 3rd sentence, which is in turn supporting the conclusion. I can see now how C is correct, but I am still a bit confused about what is wrong about A.
 Jeff Wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Bmas,

This is a Method of Reasoning - Argument Part question.

The portion of the argument that the question cites is basically the last sentence. It is an example (the sentence even uses the words "for example") of the statement made in the prior sentence that "the words we use to refer to emotions name only very general kinds of inner experience excitement, calm, joy, and so on."

Answer A starts off well by stating "it is an example" which is true. Unfortunately, the rest of the answer doesn't match up. The next part of the answer states "of a phenomenon." I wouldn't describe the fact that "the words we use to refer to emotions name only very general kinds of inner experience excitement, calm, joy, and so on" as a phenomenon exactly, at least as that word is generally used. Even if we were to describe that statement as a phenomenon, the final words of the answer "that the argument seeks to explain" don't match up.

The argument is not trying to explain why "the words we use to refer to emotions name only very general kinds of inner experience excitement, calm, joy, and so on." Instead the argument is using the fact that "the words we use to refer to emotions name only very general kinds of inner experience excitement, calm, joy, and so on" to explain why emotions seem nonrational.

Wrong answers in these types of questions often begin correctly but then end incorrectly, basically creating a half-right, half-wrong situation.

Finally, notice how the wrong answer A uses the word "example" as a trap since that is the word that most people are looking for, while the correct Answer C uses the synonym "instance" to try to hide the idea of "example." A trick the test makers love to use!
 katnyc
|
Hello, I chose answer choice E. Can someone explain why this answer choice is incorrect. What is the difference between C and E. A I cant also understand what it is trying to say. If someone can write examples of those 3 that would make it a correct answer, that would be helpful.
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi katnyc!

Answer choice (E) states, "It is the explanation proposed for the phenomenon the argument seeks to explain." The phenomenon that the argument seeks to explain is that emotions seem non-rational. "The explanation" for this is in the second sentence "it only seems that way because language lacks the ability to convey adequate conceptions of emotion." For this reason, (E) would be incorrect because we're asked about the function of the fourth sentence.

The fourth and final sentence is: "Thus, for example, there is no language for describing just how one joy differs from another." This embellishes on and exemplifies what was mentioned in the sentence right before it. That sentence lists different emotions, and then the fourth sentence unpacks one of them. This is why (C) is correct. It describes the fourth sentence as "a specific instance illustrating a general claim, thereby indirectly supporting the conclusion." The fourth sentence indirectly supports the conclusion that language seems non-rational because that sentence provides an example where language is insufficient to capture the different types of one particular emotion, joy.

Regarding (A), as mentioned, the phenomenon that the argument seeks to explain is that emotions seem non-rational. (A) is incorrect because the fourth sentence isn't quite exemplifying that phenomenon but rather is exemplifying what was mentioned in the third sentence--that we are limited to somewhat general terms to refer to inner emotions. The fourth sentence provides various types of joy as an example in which we only have a general word to refer to varieties of an emotion.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.