LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Method-Arguement Part. The correct answer choice is (A).

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 gabbyg567
|
Hi! Can someone please specify why C wouldn't be a good contender? I realize that the "However" in the QS is likely why I thought that C is the strongest. I guess I shouldn't have given much weight to "However", but aren't you supposed to pay close attention to words like these in the answer choices? TIA!
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi gabbyg567!

To address your second question first, yes, you should definitely pay close attention to words like however! This is important not only for logical reasoning but also reading comprehension. Words like "however" can often indicate contrast with what comes before, which can be very helpful to know.

And that indeed seems to be how it is used in this stimulus. But that alone doesn't make answer choice (C) correct. Answer choice (C) states that the mentioned sentence "is a claim that the argument is designed to call into question." In the mentioned sentence (that an increased range of genetic variation in a species is not advantageous for any individual member of the species), the word "however" does contrast with the previous sentence. The previous sentence states that genetic variation is good for a species, and the next sentence contrasts with this by pointing out that it's not necessarily good for individual members of the species.

It's important to look at the conclusion to know how a given sentence is functioning in the argument. The conclusion is that "the sole reason that sexual reproduction has become the rule among both animals and plants is that natural selection has favored some entire species over others." According to the stimulus, this is because we know that variation benefits a species and yet doesn't benefit individual members of the species. How then can it benefit the species without benefiting individual members of the species? The conclusion indicates that this is because it favors some entire species over others. So the mentioned sentence is used in support of this conclusion, which is reflected by answer choice (A).

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.