LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (C).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 janelken
|
I could not figure out why the correct is C. How do the rules show that it is C? Thank you!!
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi janelken!

Given the local rule provided in this question, there are five bases we can work with:

(1)
I/F: _, _, I, F, I
Crop: S, O, R, P, V

(2)
I/F: _, _, _, I, F
Crop: S, O, R, V, P

(3)
I/F: I, F, I, _, _
Crop: S, O, V, R, P

(4)
I/F: _, I, F, I, _
Crop: S, V, O, R, P

(5)
I/F: _, I, F, I, _
Crop: V, S, O, R, P
I arrived at these possibilities by starting with R, which was the most restricted variable. It's in two of the original rules, and this question imposes another limitation on R. When diagramming possibilities, it's helpful to start with the most restricted variable, as this may limit where other variables can potentially go.

For example, with R being 3rd, this fixes where S and O can go. There are two different possibilities when R is 3rd; either P is 4th and V 5th, or V is 4th and P is fifth (options (1) and (2) above). If R is 4th, then there are three possibilities, depending on how S, V, and O are allotted to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd spots (options (3), (4), and (5)). R can't go 5th, because the local rule in this question requires P to come after R. And R can't be 1st or 2nd, because S and O must come before R.

With the above diagrams in hand, one can see that (C) could be true. (C) states, "Sunflowers are irrigated and are the second crop grown." This possibility occurs in option (5).

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.