LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Grouping game

This setup is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 Yazmins22
|
hi, when setting this game up can i use the KLMNOP as the base and then give each of the teachers either Junior or Senior high school and then appoint the languages that each teacher teaches?

Thats how I set it up but I'm having some trouble
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You could, but instead try setting up the two schools as the groups, and then play around with the possible numeric distributions to see how many teachers can be at each school. The first rule will really restrict how that can play out, and you may get some additional inferences from there! All this will be made clear when we get our official explanation posted, but work with that for now and see how it goes.

The key, in my opinion, is about the numbers. Each teacher goes exactly once, but the schools will each need multiple teachers. Generally a numeric relationship like that indicates that the set with the flexible numbers is the better base, while the set that goes exactly once is the best choice for the "moving" variable set, the ones that we are trying to assign to the different groups. It also makes what I think of as "holistic" sense: the schools are fixed in place (I literally picture two school buildings in different parts of town, and of course those buildings don't move) while the teachers literally move around (any one of them can go to either school, and in my mind's eye I see them commuting to work).
 rjhyman
|
Adam Tyson wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:12 pm You could, but instead try setting up the two schools as the groups, and then play around with the possible numeric distributions to see how many teachers can be at each school. The first rule will really restrict how that can play out, and you may get some additional inferences from there! All this will be made clear when we get our official explanation posted, but work with that for now and see how it goes.

The key, in my opinion, is about the numbers. Each teacher goes exactly once, but the schools will each need multiple teachers. Generally a numeric relationship like that indicates that the set with the flexible numbers is the better base, while the set that goes exactly once is the best choice for the "moving" variable set, the ones that we are trying to assign to the different groups. It also makes what I think of as "holistic" sense: the schools are fixed in place (I literally picture two school buildings in different parts of town, and of course those buildings don't move) while the teachers literally move around (any one of them can go to either school, and in my mind's eye I see them commuting to work).
This was very helpful! But, I am still a bit confused by the number aspect :( Since the first rules states that "Any two of the teachers who teach at the same school do not teach the same language as each other." (and there are only 3 languages) I assumed that the junior and senior highschool both had 3 teachers (one for each language). So I just set up my diagram to look like this (but I am definitely still missing a key aspect of this game):

Junior | Senior
M/L | M/L
____ | _____
____ | ______

N = R
O = F
P *** (free agent)
KL block (same school, so different language)
ML NOT block (same language, so different school)
Inference: KL are at a different school than M
Inference: KM teach different languages
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello,

I'm looking at your diagram, and I'm looking at the game, and I'm considering how I would diagram it, and I must admit that I really don't think you're missing anything, substantial I mean. I'm not sure exactly what your question is with regard to the numerical distribution, and if it's something Adam said, then I will let him jump in if needed, but I would just say that I believe you have captured the gist of the game. Three and three, with each teacher teaching a different language, and the inferences based on the rules that follow.

I would add here too that I always say that it's more important to grasp the "essence" of the game (as I stated above), then it is to make sure that your diagram is completely accurate and comprehensive. The logic game section is about efficiency and flexibility, and I think this requires the ability to move through the questions fluidly, as opposed to dissecting and detailing every rule/possibility.

Let me know if you have any questions.
 danittanyan
|
This was my method, lower case letters representing language and upper case for the teachers

Jhs | Shs
Of Pr
Nr Lg
Mg Kf
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
As a general framework for the game set up that works, with the understanding that there is more than one solution to the game!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.