LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Assumption. The correct answer choice is (D).

The psychotherapist's argument begins from two premises: (1) that the troubles patients use psychotherapy for do not have purely internal causes, and (2) that one of the external causes of patients' troubles is their relationships with other people.

The psychotherapist then concludes that psychotherapists must focus on creating positive change in patients' relationships with other people to help them heal.

The simple, but unstated, connection between premises and conclusion is that patient healing in psychotherapy requires a focus on external, not just internal, causes (i.e. positive change in relationships). This is our prephrase, a classic Supporter Assumption (filling the gap between premises and conclusion).

Answer choice (A): Answer choice A is out of the scope of the argument. While the argument does presume a need for positive change in relationships, it never tells us how that positive change must be created. Thus, when answer choice A hinges change in relationships on the necessity of "patients focus[ing] on other people's troubles," it goes beyond what the argument discusses or assumes.

Answer choice (B): The argument never stakes out a position on how often, or even whether, the focus on relationships will fail, so it too goes beyond the scope of the argument. Moreover, by referring merely to the psychotherapist helping people "change their relationships," without specifying positive change, the answer choice is too broad. We know the author thinks positive change in relationships is necessary, but we do not know what the author thinks will be the result of every kind of relationship change (positive, negative, or neutral).

Answer choice (C): There are two problems with answer choice C. Like answer choice B, it is too broad (and so out of scope of the argument) when it refers to patients who "change their relationships." The specific change the stimulus requires is positive change, so once again the author does not stake out a position on the result of every kind of relationship change (positive, negative, or neutral). Further, answer choice C is a Mistaken Reversal of the conditional logic of the conclusion. The conclusion makes positive change in relationships necessary for healing (it "must" happen). Answer choice C states that change in relationships is sufficient for healing ("patients who" is a sufficient condition indicator).

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. Answer choice D fits our prephrase, in which we said that patient healing requires a focus on external causes, meaning no psychotherapist can help patients heal by focusing solely on internal causes.

Answer choice (E): Answer choice E is out of scope of the argument, because the stimulus is about the internal/external causes of patient troubles, whereas answer choice E is about whether the trouble itself is internal. Answer choice E is also out of scope when it refers to "the relief they seek." The argument is not about giving patients the relief they personally seek, rather it is about helping them heal. Even if you read answer choice E to be referring to the causes of patients' troubles and healing more generally, it is still incorrect because it directly contradicts the argument. The argument makes clear that focusing on internal causes is not enough for healing.
 German.Steel
|
(D) is a clear-cut right answer here but I think (C) would be troublesome for many. I think it's just a tricky negation more than anything, but kind of nasty for a #11. I'm confident that a lot of people will negate (C) as "Those psychotherapy patients...will NOT find relief" (which seems to bust the argument) as opposed to the correct negation, "SOME of those psychotherapy patients...will not find relief" (which does not bust the argument).

Not really a question I guess, just an observation.

Thanks!
 bellaroxy
|
Can someone explain why C is wrong. I thought because you need to heal the part of the relationship that the healing is considered a part of the process and some of the troubles ?? It sounds to me that D is the next part of that in the case you cannot only do this healing to heal everything
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The biggest problem I see with answer C, bellaroxy, is that it fails to specify the kind of change those patients achieve. The stimulus concludes that positive change is required, so an answer that is only about change in general isn't good enough. What if those changes are not positive? The author does not have to assume that every change will relieve troubles, which that answer requires.
 skiman
|
Hi,

So I was extremely stuck between C and D, and I actually changed my answer from C to D at the very last possible second which paid off because it was correct (thank God lol) but I figured I would post my reasoning on how I got to D:

the way I read it initially was that in order to heal, the psychotherapist needs to work on the internal causes AND the relationships with other people in order for the patient to heal because of the language "do not have purely internal causes' and 'result in part from patients relationships with other people' meaning both needed to be involved, not just one. I think the conclusion was a little misleading when it said the psychotherapist must focus on the need for positive change in the relationships because it made it sound like you needed to JUST focus on the relationships for the patient to heal but you actually needed to help the internal causes as well.

C) without doing the negation test on this, I thought that this was not necessary because changing the relationships alone will not give relief; we don't know if the internal causes were being worked on as well, and since I thought the stimulus made it sound like you needed BOTH, this could not be true.

D) I thought this was necessary because just looking at it without negating it, it would support my idea of needing BOTH helping the internal causes and changing the relationships because what D is saying essentially is that you cant help a person heal by just focusing the internal causes. negating this AC would result in it being possible that it is possible to help people by just working on the internal causes, which goes against what I thought the argument was trying to say about needing both.

A - B - E, I thought these were easy to eliminate because they talked about factors that dont have to do with the argument.
 katehos
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi skiman, thanks for your post!

Good work on your analysis for this problem, you're correct that there's something a bit off about the conclusion: that's why (D) is such a great answer! It's an unstated assumption that the Psychotherapist relied upon.

I do think, however, that it's important to point out that the conclusion isn't that you must focus on both but rather, that the psychotherapist "must focus on the need for positive change in the relationships." But, as you mentioned, why all the talk about internal causes? It seems we've jumped from having both internal and external causes (relationships) to focusing on the external relationships for treatment. This helps us prephrase an answer that solves the issue: we want to find something that is necessary in order to show that focusing on positively changing those relationships is required to heal patients.

This is why the Assumption Negation Technique, as you pointed out, works so well with (D). If some psychotherapists can help patients by focusing only on internal causes, then psychotherapists do not have to focus on the external (relationship) causes to treat their patient. This really hurts the Psychotherapist's conclusion that a psychotherapist must focus on positive change in the relationships.

Additionally, you can also remove answer choice (C) for the reason mentioned in a previous post: it does not say how the relationships would be changed, while the stimulus specifies positive change.

I hope this helps :)
Kate
 lsatquestions
|
Isn't C) also a mistaken reversal?

In order to heal --> focus on positive change in relationships

AC C) change relationship --> relief
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
lsatquestions,

All the problems with answer choice (C) mentioned earlier in this thread suffice to get rid of it, but I, like you, thought it was also helpful to see the Mistaken Reversal nature of that answer. That also makes it wrong. Good job!

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.