LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Grouping: Defined-Fixed, Balanced game.

The game scenario establishes that six interns—F, G, H, J, K, and L—are assigned to cover three stories—R, S, and T. Each story is assigned a photographer’s assistant and a writer’s assistant. This creates a setup that appears as follows:
powerscore_M12_T3_J2010_LG_explanations_game_4_diagram_1.png
Thus, there are three groups, and each position in each group has a specific designation.

The first two rules address four of the variables and create two separate blocks within the fields (designated with a sub-F). These blocks are shown here without regard to order. So, for example, without considering the remaining rules, the FK block could be reversed so K is on top; the GL block could be LG, or it could be G __ L or L __ G. Essentially, the blocks below are being used to show space occupied within the group, and not some exact linear order. More on this point below.
powerscore_M12_T3_J2010_LG_explanations_game_4_diagram_2.png
Consider for a moment the game setup diagram, and how these two blocks occupy space in each field. Each field—WA and PA—contains exactly three spaces. Because the two blocks address different variables, we can now make an exceptionally powerful inference:
  • In one of the fields, G and L occupy two of the three spaces. The remaining space in that field must be occupied by K or F. This means that one of the fields is occupied by G, L, and K/F. Thus, the other field must be occupied by the remaining variables: H, J, and F/K. Thus, the two fields are composed (not ordered) of the following:
powerscore_M12_T3_J2010_LG_explanations_game_4_diagram_3.png
Now that the first two rules have established the content of each field, the remaining three rules help establish the placement of the blocks, and individual variables.

The third rule states that H must be trained as a photographer’s assistant. Thus, we can now infer that the H, J, and F/K group of interns is assigned to the photographer’s assistant row, and the G, L, and K/F group is assigned to the writer’s assistant row:
powerscore_M12_T3_J2010_LG_explanations_game_4_diagram_4.png
The fourth rule assigns J to T, resulting in the following diagram:
powerscore_M12_T3_J2010_LG_explanations_game_4_diagram_5.png
The fifth rule eliminates K from S, creating two Not Laws:
powerscore_M12_T3_J2010_LG_explanations_game_4_diagram_6.png
At this point, we have a tremendous amount of information: we fully know the composition of each row, J is placed, and there are further limitations on the placement of K.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 amna.ali467
|
Hello,

For this game, I know the rules, the base, and the not laws. But I wasn't able to fill in any of the spaces with interns before looking at the questions based on the rules and inferences. Since I had difficulty answering the questions quickly and ended up testing each answer choice for a lot of the questions, I feel like I may be missing something? Am I?

P _____ _____ _J/___
W _____ _____ __J/__
R S T
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

Thanks for your question. It helps to simplify this game into a dual-group game first (Writers/Photographers) in order to fully examine the implication of the first three rules. Don't even worry about the three stories until you've figured out who is a writer's and who is a photographer's assistant.

The third rule dictates that H is a photographer's assistant:
Writers: __ __ __
Photographers: H __ __
The second rule stipulates that F and K be trained in different fields (F :dblline: K):

We can represent this as follows:
Writers: F/K, __, __
Photographers: H, F/K, __
The first rule forces G and L into the same field (G :dbl: L). They cannot both be photographers, because there is no room for both G and L in the photographers' group. So, G and L must both be writers' assistants, while the remaining variable - J - must be a photographer:
Writers: F/K, G, L
Photographers: H, F/K, J
By focusing on the simpler grouping division first (dual-value groups are obviously easier to work with that triple-value groups), were were able to make a few important deductions. Now, we can move onto the idea of figuring out what story each of these interns is covering. We can easily see, or instance, that J is the writer assigned to Tuscany.

Try this out now and let me know if it helps!

Thanks!
 amna.ali467
|
Thanks so much!
 Heather
|
Hello!

Could someone please explain what the set-up of this game looks like and offer a short explanation? I'm a bit confused as I made it out to be like this:

_ _ _ (PA)
_ _ _(WA)
R S T

and drafted G and L to be trained in the same field as a vertical block: G
L
This block, then could be put into the R slot or S slot and two templates be made accordingly. (I didn't add it in the T slot as T is always occupied by J).

Some explanations of this game create the set up as:

PA WA
R _ _
S _ _
T _ _

and the G,L vertical block is therefore then NOT in the same field but is diagrammed as G on R and L on S for instance.

Which set up is correct, and if the latter - then why?

Thanks!
 BethRibet
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Heather,

Thanks for writing.

It's okay to lay this out with the countries and occupations either horizontal or vertical -- either will work.

I do see an error in your discussion -- we don't already know that G & L can not be in Tuscany -- remember that there will be two positions for each country, so Jackson only occupies one of the two Tuscany spots.

For this game, I would recommend using templates.

We have three people per field, and we know that GL are a block (taking up 2 of 3 spots in one field), and that F&K must be in different fields. Therefore, whether they are in photography or writing, one of our occupations will include G, L, and either F or K -- to make up 3 total spots. This means the other occupation will include H, J, and either F or K, again to ensure that F & K are not together. There will not be room for H or J to accompany G and L, because that third spot must be held for F or K.

Since we know H is a PA, this means our occupations look like this:

WA: G, L, F/K
PA: H, J, F/K

Then we can lay out a main diagram like this:

WA
PA J
R S T
~K

For templates, I would try assigning K and F to an occupation, like this:

1) K = WA, F = PA

WA __ G/L __ (K,G,L)
PA F/H F/H J
R S T

2) F= WA, K = PA

WA __ __ __ (F, G, L)
PA K H J
R S T

For template #2, we know that K can not be in S, and J is always in T, so K must therefore be in R, and H in S.

Again, laying this out with the occupations either vertical or horizontal would still be fine.

Hope this helps!

Beth
 Heather
|
That explains it really well. Thanks Beth!
 derp120
|
Did anyone else think the setup for this game was unclear if each intern needs to be assigned? The language is a bit ambiguous to me: "magazine has hired 6 interns --- to assist in covering 3 stories" "each intern will be trained as either..." "each story is assigned to a team of two interns"

Reads to me kind of like a logical reasoning question that you can't assume because they were hired and trained to assist they were actually assigned. Yes, it says hired "to assist in covering" and that each "will be trained either as photographer's assistant or as a writer's assistant", which sort of implies they will be assigned to a story in one of those roles but doesn't guarantee it. Sure they are all trained in one kind of assistance necessary for an assignment but are there not other ways they could "assist in covering" besides the 2 specified ways? Just because they were trained in one area why do they each have to be assigned?

This is getting at the same point but it seemed to me it was possible one intern could be assigned to 2 roles. For example if this was right Hall could be the photography assistant for all 3 locations.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
derp120 wrote:Did anyone else think the setup for this game was unclear if each intern needs to be assigned? The language is a bit ambiguous to me: "magazine has hired 6 interns --- to assist in covering 3 stories" "each intern will be trained as either..." "each story is assigned to a team of two interns"

Reads to me kind of like a logical reasoning question that you can't assume because they were hired and trained to assist they were actually assigned. Yes, it says hired "to assist in covering" and that each "will be trained either as photographer's assistant or as a writer's assistant", which sort of implies they will be assigned to a story in one of those roles but doesn't guarantee it. Sure they are all trained in one kind of assistance necessary for an assignment but are there not other ways they could "assist in covering" besides the 2 specified ways? Just because they were trained in one area why do they each have to be assigned?

This is getting at the same point but it seemed to me it was possible one intern could be assigned to 2 roles. For example if this was right Hall could be the photography assistant for all 3 locations.
Hi Derp,

While at times I think LSAC can be unclear, in this case I think you may be reading a bit too much into the situation. They've hired these six interns, and they are assigning them to stories to get the training. So, in this sense, the assignment they get is the training they receive.

From there, I felt the following sentence made it clear that each intern that was hired would be used: "Each intern will be trained either as a photographer's assistant or as a writer's assistant." When they say each intern will be trained, that says to me that each one will be in there getting trained, which means they get assigned to a story. Thus, they all will be assigned.

As I said before, there are plenty of instances where I don't love LSAC's phrasing, but this one didn't pop up on my radar!

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.