LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 kupwarriors9
|
SOS how is passage's B view of passage A (passage A is the essay by Ricks himself) as simplistic?
 kupwarriors9
|
Like then in #20 it says that passage B thinks A is extremely carried away? How is this a simplistic attitude at all
kupwarriors9 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:38 pm SOS how is passage's B view of passage A (passage A is the essay by Ricks himself) as simplistic?
 justsum1
|
@kupwarriors9

So to answer your question - if you look at the last paragraph, she's basically implying that "sure the other dude is right about that history says that, but history isn't so simple and to generalize all authors (and their ideas) from all walks of life, is way too simple. She's saying "yeah, sure, the sky is blue - BUT it can be red and black and grey as well - to say the sky is ONLY blue, is a bit too rigid for us esteemed intellects/critics"

To say we can only rely on one approach to the lessons of history, is to say there is only one color to the sky. Its simplistic, nearly irresponsible, but simplicity isn't always irresponsible - sometimes it's just an honest mistake. Forrest Gump told me so.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think justsum1's analysis is spot on! And I find support for the use of "simplistic" in this line: "Yet bad history is no argument against history itself."

Thanks for the assist!
 josewilson
|
Why C is wrong? Can you explain for me? Thanks.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Jose, I don't think there's any indication here that the author of Passage B believes that Christopher Ricks is deceitful. They acknowledge that Ricks had made some valuable points---as they say in the last paragraph of Passage B, Ricks is "rightly" dismissive of reducing moral standards to reductions of power. That's an indication that the author of Passage B has some points of agreement with Ricks. Deceitful is too negative of a term to apply to the author of Passage B.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.