LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (E).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 tetsuya0129
|
Hi Powerscore,

Agreeing with (E) as the best choice, I still find it very difficult to spot in Passage A where is the support for "current." I thought the term basically means present, the time being. Then, how come Laura's viewpoint in 1996 can be said as "current"?

Please let me know and thank you very much,
Leon
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Leon!

I like that close reading! But, ultimately, the year that Laura J. Rosenthal's book was written in is irrelevant. Her approach results in projecting current ideological preoccupations inappropriately onto the past, no matter what year you are applying it in. The "current ideological preoccupations" does not refer to Rosenthal's approach--in other words, it is not Rosenthal's approach that is "current"; rather, "current ideological preoccupations" refers to the idea that, in the view of the author of passage A, the only difference between plagiarism, imitation, adaptation, repetition, and originality is that "those in power use the opprobrious term “plagiarism” when the work in question emanates from those whom they dislike." Any determination of plagiarism would be based on whether the people in power currently like the creator of the work or not.

So basically, if you and I today, in 2021, were trying to use Rosenthal's definitions for plagiarism vs. other similar things to determine if an older work was plagiarism or not, it would require that we impose our current 2021 morals onto a past work.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.