LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi GGIBA003,

I think conditional reasoning works well here if you want to use it. I would caution though that you have a small error with the second contrapositive.

Premise 1: Expect to give money back because doesn't work :arrow: NO Manufacture Warranty

Should be: Contrapositive: Manufacture Warranty :arrow: not expect to give money back

Answer choice (A) strengthens the argument by showing that manufacturers expect to have to give money back if their products don't work. So even if you personally wouldn't bother, as long as enough other people would bother, the system works. We are strengthening the link between the warranty and the expectation of paying money.

Hope that helps!
 g_lawyered
|
Hi Rachael,
In this question, I realize my conditional reasoning set up didn't help me answer this question. instead, I used process of elimination to eliminate answer B-E. However, in my previous post, I combined conditional statements to form a logic chain. Can you tell me if that chain is correct?
Also, I realize that the main strategy to answer this question is to strengthen the assumption between "rogue term" manufacturer warranty in conclusion and "rogue term" expectation of paying $ back in the premise. My question is, when is it helpful to write out conditional reasoning for answering questions when I see the conditional word indicators? And when is it not? This questions is a perfect example of how spending time on writing out conditional reasoning didn't benefit me and I could've saved time on this question- had I recognized the rogue terms. :hmm:
Any guidance would help,
Thanks in advance!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Your contrapositive chain is fine, but like I said above, there's an error in the contrapositive of one of the premises. But that didn't impact your overall chain.

I wouldn't personally do this one conditionally. You can draw this one out conditionally, but it doesn't really help you understand the problem with the stimulus. Instead here, I would ask why my behavior would be expected to be different than any one else's. That's because the argument assumes the existence of people that behave in ways "one" wouldn't. That seems questionable, and where I would focus on in my search for a correct answer.

Hope that helps!
 g_lawyered
|
Thank you for confirming that Rachael!
 mkarimi73
|
Why is (C) through (E) incorrect?
 Paul Popa
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi M,

I'd be happy to help explain why C, D, and E are incorrect.

C) This is ultimately irrelevant. Even if this proportional relationship was true, it does nothing to strengthen the author's conclusion that we should only buy frying pans that have a manufacturer's warranty.

D) This answer can be safely rejected because it doesn't even mention a warranty. We're trying to strengthen the idea that we should buy pans with a warranty over ones that don't, so this answer is incorrect.

E) Awesome! If you actually decide to use the warranty. How would this strengthen the conclusion for people who would never actually use the warranty? There needs to be another reason why, and A provides that answer: other people would definitely use the warranty, which in turn makes manufacturers careful to only offer warranties on quality products that will last. Otherwise, they'd be out a lot of money on replacement pans. Hope this helps!
 a.hopp
|
I was between A and E; I see now that A is the better answer because if most people would seek a reimbursement if a pan "failed", that strengthens the argument in that companies do not want to lose money reimbursing customers, so the offering of manufacturer's warranty means they are confident in the longevity of their product, especially if most buyers would seek reimbursement.

When I chose E, I was thinking that companies would be particularly confident in their product if providing an option for reimbursement if the customer was not fully satisfied.

Can you expand on why E is incorrect? I know why A is better, but need some help determining exactly what was wrong with this answer.
 Jeff Wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi A,

You wrote, "When I chose E, I was thinking that companies would be particularly confident in their product if providing an option for reimbursement if the customer was not fully satisfied."

While confidence in their product might be one possible explanation for offering a full satisfaction guarantee, it is not necessarily the only explanation, and you definitely don't want to assume this.

For example, imagine a company makes an inexpensive frying pan (say $5). The company offers a full satisfaction money back guarantee knowing that most people won't bother going through the hassle of returning the pan, filling out the paperwork, calling customer service, etc. for a $5 refund.

On the other hand, the company knows that offering this full satisfaction money back guarantee will significantly increase their sales because many people would assume (like you) that it must be a high quality product. So for the company, offering the money back guarantee would make total sense even if the product is complete garbage.

While Answer E would strengthen an argument for someone who would seek reimbursement (since at least the customer would feel confident in being able to get their money back), it doesn't help out a customer who wouldn't bother seeking reimbursement (as the conclusion states) because it doesn't really show that the product is high quality (as Answer A does).

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.