LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Imcuffy
|
Hi,

I wanted to get some recommendations for you concerning understanding what I am reading. I've noted that in these drills, there is a ton of convoluting language which makes me lost in the passage. I understand some of what is said but not fully all of it. What do you recommend that I do to have better understanding of what is being said. For example, part of my answer matches the books answer but the book goes further into identifying points that I did not see or bring out.
 Imcuffy
|
Imcuffy wrote:Hi,

I wanted to get some recommendations for you concerning understanding what I am reading. I've noted that in these drills, there is a ton of convoluting language which makes me lost in the passage. I understand some of what is said but not fully all of it. What do you recommend that I do to have better understanding of what is being said. For example, part of my answer matches the books answer but the book goes further into identifying points that I did not see or bring out.
This is an update of the following drills on the RC Workbook:

I continued to work through the workbook and am not on the VIEWSTAMP section of chapter 1. I was able to go through each drill accurately summarizing it every single time with no problem. I was able to understand and keep up with each passage and drill. So to better help in finding a resolution to my question, I think the drill that I have been struggling with was simplifying the wording to large convoluting passages. I guess my idea is that you cannot accurately summarize what you do not know. Knowing the simplification drill was very hard for me, I would have expected the passages to be hard as well but for some strange reason, those came very easy. Do you think that was just a matter of that particular drill being extremely difficult?
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Imcuffy!

The Language Simplification Drill does give you more complicated passages because it's the convoluted ones in which it becomes even more important to be able to simplify the language being used. But I wouldn't say they are necessarily extremely difficult. Some passages use more convoluted language than others. And you can expect to have at least one passage on test day that is at the same level of difficulty in terms of the language used as those in the drill. It's okay if you weren't able to totally break these down right away--it's something you should be working toward. Don't use the explanations just to see what you got incorrect or missed. Use the explanations as a tool to learn from. Look at the types of things they were able to pick out. Make sure you fully understand the simplified version and how they were able to take the convoluted language and pick it apart to make it easier to understand.

The point of the drill is to take that convoluted language one piece at a time so that you can understand what is being said. So take your time, be patient, and carefully consider each word to make sure that you have simplified it to make it more understandable. It will take practice and it will probably be frustrating at times. But it's worth it because it's an important skill in RC!

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.