LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Mark83
|
Pg. 70 in workbook.

Question 1 says: "Each of the passages contains information sufficient to answer which of the following questions?"

-The book says the answer is (C) "Are harmful pathogens sometimes present in the human body."

-Now, Passage B says "there are disease causing bacteria in each of us." But there's nothing in passage A that says anything similar. Perhaps I approached this wrongly, looking for something supported by both passages, rather than something partially supported by each?

Is the role of Passage A to connect the concept of harmful pathogens with bacteria; thus allowing the bacteria mentioned in Passage B to fall into that category. Also, the reference in Passage A to diarrheal bacteria killing 1.8 million, are we to understand that as an example of harmful pathogens sometimes being present in the body, as the answer choice states?
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Mark,

Great question! Let's pay close attention to exactly what this answer says.
  • Are harmful pathogens sometimes present in the human body?
You've found the evidence for this answer in Passage B. Good job! However, do we have evidence in Passage A to suggest that harmful pathogens are sometimes present in the human body? In fact we have! In lines 8 through 14, Passage A discusses bacterial infections caused by disease-causing pathogens. In other words, we have direct evidence in Passage A that at least sometimes harmful pathogens are present in the human body, i.e. when people get sick as a result of their presence.

I hope this helps!
 Mark83
|
Jonathan Evans wrote:Hey Mark,

Great question! Let's pay close attention to exactly what this answer says.
  • Are harmful pathogens sometimes present in the human body?
You've found the evidence for this answer in Passage B. Good job! However, do we have evidence in Passage A to suggest that harmful pathogens are sometimes present in the human body? In fact we have! In lines 8 through 14, Passage A discusses bacterial infections caused by disease-causing pathogens. In other words, we have direct evidence in Passage A that at least sometimes harmful pathogens are present in the human body, i.e. when people get sick as a result of their presence.

I hope this helps!
Thank Jonathan. I suspected that was the explanation. I guess I overlooked it because Passage B seems to indicate that these harmful bacteria are in the body but dormant, I was looking for similarly harmful bacteria in the body not yet actively harming the individual. Read too much into it.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.