LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

gintriag
|
Hi guys,

I was wondering what would be the tone of this passage. In the first part of this passage, the author is "convinced" with what legal history professors have shown. But then, the author seems to be neutral, just exposing the point of view of recent commentators. It sounds to me as a mix of convincing and neutrality. Thanks for answering this doubt.

As a general question, what is the suitable tone or the most appropriate one, when an author takes party on the position of anybody in the passage. Let's say, professor A states that the sky is green and professor B states the sky is blue but the author leans to believe to what says professor A. Biasing Tone? I dont really know, hope you can help me with this one too.

Thanks,
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Gintriag,

I'm sorry for the belated reply. We have been trying to determine which Reading Comprehension Bible edition you have. This passage is not in the latest edition, as far as I can tell. Could you please verify the edition of the RCB you have and the page on which the relevant passage is found? Thank you very much!
 gintriag
|
It belongs to the RC Bible Workbook. I have the book on kindle, so I dont have page numbers but you can get easily to the Passage 3 from the Viewpoint Identification Drill.

Thanks,
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Gintriag,

Thanks for the reply. Certainly, from the text of this passage, it is impossible to ascertain the author's perspective about the continued utility of the patents. The "legal history professors" only contend that patents have existed as far back as the third century in ancient Greece. These professors have no stated opinion here about the utility of patents. The "recent commentators" are the people who advocate that patents be curtailed. The author simply relates their position. She is completely neutral.

The tone in your hypothetical example (about the two professors) could vary depending on the passage. More important would be to describe how the viewpoint of the author converges with that of the professor with whom he agrees. This observation would likely help you describe the Main Point of this passage.

I hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.