LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

trentkannegieter
|
Hello! I’m working through the RC Bible, and have a few questions about how the strategy will translate into working with the new, online format. Specifically, I wanted to ask about the comparative, “dual passages” approach advanced in the RCBible (page 289 of the most recent edition.) This strategy advocates, to paraphrase, 1. Reading passage A 2. answering passage A-specific questions, 3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 with passage B, 4. Answer remaining questions comparing the two.

While this strategy seems compelling on the paper version of the test, I was wondering if it was still worth it, time efficiency-wise, to scan like this given the format of the online LSAT, with only one question on the screen at a time. (Relatedly, I’d love to know how the one-question-on-the-screen-at-a-time format informs self-planning one’s timing through the section. However, I’m happy to post that as a separate, distinct question as well if you would prefer.) Thank y’all for all of your help throughout this prep process!!!
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Trent,

This is a great question that several of my students have asked about, in a variety of contexts on the digital test!

While I generally agree it's going to be a bit slower than on paper to use the comparative reading strategy outlined in the RC Bible, I still think it works. Read passage A. Then quickly flip through the digital screens for the comparative passage and find all passage A questions to complete. Read passage B. Then quickly flip through the digital screens and find all passage B questions to complete (this should take slightly less time, since you've already taken one trip through all the passage's questions). How much time does that add to your process? Probably anywhere from a few seconds to 30 seconds. As you get more proficient with the digital format, it will become more efficient. This extra time is balanced by the time-saver of doing passage-specific questions more quickly (than you would if you didn't take the time to use this process), and by the more general time-saver of not having to bubble questions on an answer sheet, so it likely becomes a wash in the end.

I think it likely you'll use a similar strategy in the Logic Games section to identify questions that are easier to answer first on individual games. Don't be afraid to quickly flip through all the questions in a game after you diagram the scenario and inferences, just so you have a good grasp of the total number of questions in the game and of the type of questions in that game. At the beginning of the section, don't be afraid to (very quickly) flip through and identify the types of all four games, in case there is a type of game you want to complete first (because it's a strength for you).

If you have other specific questions about the digital test formatting and how it affects your test-taking strategy, feel free to follow up in the General Questions area of the Forum (or, if you have a section-specific question, in that section's area of the Forum).

I hope this helps!

Jeremy

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.