LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Legalistic
|
Hello Team,

On page 251 in the 2019 RC Bible, I'm having trouble understanding why 2C is not correct. I thought that was the correct answer because lines 5-9 seem to be a summary of the proponents pov, that that author attempts to discredit in his argument. Can you please explain why C is wrong and how I should think when confronted with a question like this? And, also why D is correct?

Thank you in advance,
Legalistic
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for the question, Legalistic! Answer C is saying that those lines sum up what the author seeks to disprove, but that's not what is happening there. The author is trying to disprove that paleo diets pose little risk, but she says the claim in lines 6-9 is CORRECT. In other words, the author is saying that her opponents are right about that premise even though they are wrong in their conclusion. So we need an answer that captures the idea that those lines are something that the opponents claim and that the author concedes is true but which still doesn't prove the opponents are correct.

Answer D does the job. The position in those lines could be used as an objection to the author's position, and in fact is used by her opponents. Ultimately the author says that information, while correct, is insufficient to prove the opponents' position, but it still was their objection to her argument.

Confusing, I know! But focus on the fact that our author said that claim was correct, and answer C should look more obviously wrong.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.