LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

lathlee
|
Hi. today my question is located in RC 2016 Bible pg 227,
Mini Passage Drill: The Elements of VIEWSTAMP section, the question #1, In the passage begins with

" In esablishing economic policy, policymakers usually rely on preexisting models of development and tend to adopt the dominant develop theory of their era..........................."

Question 1. Which one of the following best describes the organization on of the passage?

According to the pg 233, (where the answer is located) the correct answer is B). Now this is the issue:
I had B or E as the final contender. but I went with E with the following reason: the paragraph ends with the following sentence in the passage:

"By compelling developing countries to abolish trade protections and participate in free trade regimes, the IMF left those markets vulnerable to exploitation and predation."

This last sentence sounds like an evaluation which falls in the condition of the answer choice E)"......... an evaluation of this shortcoming is presented." as in Due to these free trade policy imposition, IMF 's policies are considered as destroying the markets of developing nations, which are evaluation of how IMF policy had done.

according to the answer sheet, this sentence doesn't qualify the condition, and this is the deciding factor that answer choice E is the wrong one. what am I not seeing here.
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lathlee,

I'm not sure what you mean by:
according to the answer sheet, this sentence doesn't qualify the condition, and this is the deciding factor that answer choice E is the wrong one.
(E) is wrong not because it is too extreme/not qualified. It's wrong because it doesn't describe the function of the passage at all. If you try to map it onto the stimulus, you will see that it doesn't work.

(E) reads: "A particular worldview is explained, its shortcomings are presented, and an evaluation of these shortcomings is presented." What is the worldview being explained, that policymakers tend to rely on models? That is more like an observation or phenomenon than a worldview. A shortcoming of this phenomenon for developing countries is presented, but it doesn't seem like multiple shortcomings are presented. And finally, as mentioned in the answer key, the shortcoming is not in any way evaluated.

If you had prephrased, the first paragraph would have been been summarized as something like "a general occurrence that tends to harm developing countries." Paragraph Two would have been something like "explanation of why developing countries are harmed by it, and an example."

Now looking at (B),
occurrence = phenomenon
explanation of why = implication
example = illustration

The takeaway: Analyze each part of the answer choice for how well it fits your prephrase!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.