LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

AlyssaY
|
I'm having trouble understanding when a RC question stem is asking a Must Be True EXCEPT or Cannot Be True question.

On page 200 of the 2020 Digital Bible, the answer to question #19 of the drill is Cannot Be True:
     19. "The passage provides information to answer all of the following questions EXCEPT:"

On page 232, the answer to question #9 of the drill is Must Be True EXCEPT:
      9. "The passage provides information that answers each of the following questions EXCEPT:"

Does it matter that the first question says "all of the following questions" and the second says "each of the following questions"?

I understand that Must Be True and Cannot Be True are polar opposites and the EXCEPT in a question stem acts to logically negate the question. To me, it seems as though both questions are asking you to determine, based on the info given in the passage, what is NOT NECESSARILY TRUE, or Must Be True EXCEPT.

Can someone please explain the difference? Particularly having trouble with the Cannot Be True question stems.

Thanks!!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
AlyssaY wrote:I'm having trouble understanding when a RC question stem is asking a Must Be True EXCEPT or Cannot Be True question.

On page 200 of the 2020 Digital Bible, the answer to question #19 of the drill is Cannot Be True:
     19. "The passage provides information to answer all of the following questions EXCEPT:"

On page 232, the answer to question #9 of the drill is Must Be True EXCEPT:
      9. "The passage provides information that answers each of the following questions EXCEPT:"

Does it matter that the first question says "all of the following questions" and the second says "each of the following questions"?

I understand that Must Be True and Cannot Be True are polar opposites and the EXCEPT in a question stem acts to logically negate the question. To me, it seems as though both questions are asking you to determine, based on the info given in the passage, what is NOT NECESSARILY TRUE, or Must Be True EXCEPT.

Can someone please explain the difference? Particularly having trouble with the Cannot Be True question stems.

Thanks!!
Hi Alyssa,

I've just gone through a power outage due to California fire threat, so didn't see this until now. I don't have the book in front of me, but I'd say the first question there should be Must Be True EXCEPT, not Cannot. So, it looks like a possible error. I'll go into the main book files when I have full access again and review it, but that's my suspicion at the moment.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.