LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Kmikaeli
|
(Page 86 and 88) For the definitions portion and difficult words or phrases sections, do they both represent the idea talked about when introducing topics/terminology on page 81? Does the definitions portion talk about when a concept or word is related to a concept under discussion, you can find it within the vicinity of the text as a synonym or in greater detail?
Secondly, is the difficult words and phrases portion about unknown vocabulary words and finding them through context clues throughout the surrounding text?
Basically, I am trying to figure out how the terminology information on pg 81-82 parallels page 86 on the topic of definitions and page 88 on the section of difficult words and passages.

(pg 88-89 on list and enumerations) Lastly, for lists and enumerations, do the list of reasons (premises) explain essentially a conclusion (which is basically an action that was taken or why a circumstance came into being)?
I also understand what a list of examples means, but what is a "point at hand mean"? Does it mean the main point of the author or a conclusion?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

Interesting questions! The discussion of challenging topic or terminology refers to the fact that LSAT passages often deal with topics that are unfamiliar. Such passages can seem more difficult because of unfamiliar topics (and perhaps associated terms), but the point is that you shouldn't be intimidated just because of lack of familiarity with a topic or terminology. This discussion is picked up a few pages later, in the short section on difficult words or phrases.

In some cases unfamiliar terms or phrases are surrounded by context clues that allow you to approximate what they mean. Otherwise, terms or phrases that are not in common usage are often defined by the author, right there in the passage. In such cases, you should take note, because if the test-makers make the decision to define a term within the text of a passage, chances are that information will be valuable in answering one or more questions.

When a list of examples relates to the "point at hand," that just means that relate to whatever point is being discussed.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether everything is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 Kmikaeli
|
does the point represent the viewpoint of the author/group?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The point being discussed is not necessarily the viewpoint of the author--that section is just referring to whatever is being discussed and illustrated with a list of examples.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 Kmikaeli
|
So a point could be any idea, not necessarily just a conclusion. However if a list of examples support a point, doesn't that mean the examples (which are broad premises) support a conclusion. Premises only are brought up to provide evidence for a conclusion.
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

Thanks for your response! In some cases a list is provided to prove something--that would describe a list of premises in support of a conclusion. But not every list represents an effort to support or prove something. If I say that the NFL is the National Football League, and teams include the Giants, the Jets, and the Steelers, I'm not proving that the league exists--I'm just providing examples.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know if this is unclear--thanks!

~Steve
 Kmikaeli
|
Got you, so "a point" is an broad term that could represent that of a conclusion or regular statement like your NFL example.

This is the definition I saw on the website: A point is a particular detail of an argument.
 Aliraza70
|
Lastly, the structure of the argument basically summarizes each paragraphs purpose which can easily be recognized as explaining the argument or viewpoint.????
Last edited by Aliraza70 on Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ali,

When we discuss argument structure, we basically mean to deconstruct the argument into premise(s) and conclusion(s), taking into account any implied assumptions, gaps in the reasoning, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you probably meant to ask about is passage structure (the "S" in VIEWSTAMP).

Structure is all about the function of each paragraph in the context of the passage as a whole: what is the purpose/function of each paragraph, and how does that play into the purpose of the passage as a whole? Not all paragraphs are there to explain an argument or a viewpoint: it all depends on the actual function of the paragraph itself. Function (purpose) and viewpoint are different textual elements: the former seeks to understand what the author does in a given paragraph, whereas the latter is concerned with what they author says in it. Delivering a viewpoint is only one of several potential functions of a paragraph.

Does that answer your question? Let me know.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.