LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Kmikaeli
|
On page 73-77, the author brings about an example passage that we intend to apply the VIEWSTAMP process.

The Viewpoint answer just states the three groups/people with viewpoints, but doesn't mention any detail of it. WHY is this so, aren't the viewpoint section supposed to name the group/people and their approach/position of the subject matter? Isn't it supposed to explain their approach and position?

Identifying the argument deals with explaining to us the viewpoint in more detail. I feel like the viewpoint and argument identification are one in the same where a viewpoint explains the viewpoint and their agreement and disagreement while identifying the argument explains the viewpoint in the same manner. To me Argument and viewpoint are one in the same with the same process of explanation.

Lastly, the structure of the argument basically summarizes each paragraphs purpose which can easily be recognized as explaining the argument or viewpoint.

I feel like overall these three characteristics are indistinguishable from each other.
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

Thanks for your message. Interesting question!

In our RC analysis, we consider how many various people or groups have their perspectives represented within a given passage, and this is what we refer to when we discuss "viewpoints": the people or groups whose viewpoints are represented. This is primarily about the who.

(In a play, much of this information would appear on the page listing the cast of characters)

On the other hand, the arguments that might be made by the groups or individuals discussed in a passage deal with the specifics of what they assert.

(In a play, such arguments would appear within the script).

Understanding the structure of a reading comprehension passage, as you point out, basically means understanding what the author was attempting to accomplish in each paragraph--but not every paragraph relays an argument (sometimes the discussion of a paragraph will feature arguments, but in many cases it won't).

I hope that's a helpful response to your inquiry. Please let me know--thanks!

~Steve
 Kmikaeli
|
Steve, that is exactly what I deduced yesterday as I was reading the example over again. It just made it a bit confusing when the viewpoint section not only listed the groups or individuals and their position but explained it as well. I guess they combined the argument identification with the viewpoint all in one.
ThNK YOU SO MUCH FOR CLEARING THINGS UP

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.