LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

voodoochild
|
Experts,
The book says that the statement "some..." is commentator's view. However, I have a different opinion : 'some' is a modifier and is modifying critics. In my opinion, "some" refers to some critics who think that Toni is a feminist. Hence, the second statement is a subset of the general view presented in statement #1.

Thoughts?
 voodoochild
|
Experts,
The book says that lines 1-9 are viewpoint neutral. I am not sure why. I think that the author expresses his views in Line 5 -- identifying violators of digital copyrights is difficult. Isn't it?

I am not too sure about the distinction between 'Viewpoint neutral' and "author's views" because at the end of the day, every word is written by an author. The author could be describing something or expressing his views about it. I believe that facts could help us in distinguishing between author's views and description.

Can you please explain why Line 5 is not author's view. I agree that the first statement is indeed a description because it tells me what file sharing is (just like facts). Line 5, on the other hand, sets the stage for the paragraph and let's us know what the author thinks about 'digital copying.'

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Voodoochild,

Thanks for your message.This is a very good question, because it is important to be able to distinguish between fact and opinion. It is true that the author writes all of the words, but that does not mean that every word necessarily expresses an author's opinion.

As you mentioned, the author begins with a basic description, but the second sentence is factual as well: the rapid, oft undetected movement makes it difficult to i.d. offenders. This is a fact--it's not an opinion, it is a basic description of why it can be hard to catch offenders.

If, on the other hand, the author had begun with something like "File sharing is bad, and putting a stop to it should be our government's top priority," that would clearly relay an opinion.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know--thanks!

~Steve
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Voodoochild,

Thanks for your message.

An LSAT author who intended to refer to a subset of the aforementioned critics would probably be a bit more clear: something along the lines of "While some of these critics..."

"Some," in this case, however, is intended to relay "some," as in "some (who have something to say)." How can I say this with such conviction? In this rare case, I happen to know the author of the passage! :)

Note that even if it were a subset of critics, though, that would still be a distinct perspective:

Critics have praised her work.

Some (be it critics or others) have called her a feminist.

Morrison has not referred to herself as such--she looks for equality.

Author: One of her strengths is her uniquely female view.

I hope that's helpful! Let me know--thanks!

~Steve
 voodoochild
|
Steve,
Thanks for your reply.
File sharing is bad, and putting a stop to it should be our government's top priority,
In your example, you have used "should," which is a clear cut opinion indicator. If I consider that statement #2 on page 20 is a fact or a description, how about the passage on page 22 (starts with Literary critics have...) In this passage, I could consider that the author is telling me, rather than opining, about one of the strengths of Morrison's work. It could be a known fact or a description. I am really confused. How do I know what's a fact vs an opinion?

On the other hand, the author uses the word "particularly" on line #7 of the paragraph on page 20. I have seen that such adverbs generally tend to express opinions.

Any thoughts? This is really confusing me.

thanks
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

With regard to Morrison's work, a discussion of her strengths is somewhat subjective. Had it said "It is generally agreed that one of her strengths is...," that would be different. As is, it expresses an opinion.

As for "particularly," you cannot base anything on that word in isolation--that's one of the dangers of seeking too formulaic an approach. "It was a particularly hot day" just says that it was hotter than usual, but "Morrison's last work was particularly moving" would be an opinion.

I hope that's helpful!

~Steve

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.