LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

rob_D
|
Hi Powerscore Team,

I was reviewing the principle questions in the book and noticed I wrote down ethics therefore not factual, and factual therefore not ethics, on a few questions. However, it seems to be that those are mentioned in the previous chapter on point at issue and point of agreement, not explicitly in principle questions. Therefore, I am left to wonder: Did I draw a connection that isn't there or can one use the factual/ethical distinction for principle questions too? I feel like I read that in a paragraph somewhere and don't know why I would have used it in principle questions. However, I can't seem to find it.

Is the factual/ethical distinction only for point at issue questions? Does it carry to agreement? Does it carry to principle questions too? I swear there was a sentence that mentioned an overlap but the bible is so big, I could have made an error. Can you help clarify?

Thanks again,

Rob
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
rob_D wrote:Hi Powerscore Team,

I was reviewing the principle questions in the book and noticed I wrote down ethics therefore not factual, and factual therefore not ethics, on a few questions. However, it seems to be that those are mentioned in the previous chapter on point at issue and point of agreement, not explicitly in principle questions. Therefore, I am left to wonder: Did I draw a connection that isn't there or can one use the factual/ethical distinction for principle questions too? I feel like I read that in a paragraph somewhere and don't know why I would have used it in principle questions. However, I can't seem to find it.

Is the factual/ethical distinction only for point at issue questions? Does it carry to agreement? Does it carry to principle questions too? I swear there was a sentence that mentioned an overlap but the bible is so big, I could have made an error. Can you help clarify?

Thanks again,

Rob
Hello Rob,

I think it is largely for point at issue, and also point of agreement. (For point of agreement, if A says something ethical, and B says something factual, how can they agree, since they're going different directions?)
I don't think there may be too much overlap to principle questions. This is because principles are largely ethical ("Thou shalt not kill") or directive ("Kids at Wilson Elementary should say hi to their teacher every morning"), rather than factual. Factual might be "People do kill", or, "There is a school called Wilson Elementary", which are statements of fact rather than principles.
So there might be some small gray area of overlap somewhere, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Hope this helps,
David
 rob_D
|
Okay thanks David. That makes a lot of sense. This forum is really helpful. Now to rest before the test.

Kind regards,

Rob

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.