LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Kmikaeli
|
That is the problem, if they do contain such problems, do I follow through with the same setup as discussed per question type. So, for example, if there is a must be true question involving numbers and percentages, do I follow through with the process of paraphrasing and using assumptions/consequence connections and details in the stimulus to pick an answer choice that must be true with the information stated in the stimulus?
 Nicholas Bruno
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Yes you do. Its the same approach as a normal must be true (or assumption or justify the conclusion). The only thing that is different is that you have to watch to make sure the numbers/percentages are not being misused.
 Kmikaeli
|
Aren't they being misused based on the misconceptions in must be true questions, but we have to accept it as true because we are looking for an answer choice that must be proven even if the argument is flawed?
 Nicholas Bruno
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I may be losing you here! Let me give a (simplistic) example of the most common way I see numbers/percentages in a must be true and work through how you would do the problem and hopefully that will clear things up.

The number of major car accidents in New York City has fallen in the last five years. A city can only have a decline in the number of accidents if the population of the city falls or if the police more rigorously enforce the speed limit. The population of New York City has grown in the last five years.

We have a clear numbers statement here: the number of accidents has fallen in the last five years. Not necessarily the percentage of accidents.

Now your prephrase (like any Must be True question) would probably be along the line of something that New York City's police are more rigorously enforcing the speed limit. Imagine you have the following two answer choices:

A: there are less accidents per capita in New York City today than five years ago

You could quickly eliminate this answer choice based on numbers/percentages: the stimulus did not say anything about the percentages.

B: the police are issuing more tickets for speeding

This seems to be along the lines of the prephase and you would select this answer choice.

I hope that illustrates the process! Basically, to recap, you just answer the question as you normally would approach that question type. However, to eliminate some answer choices or to get to the right "flaw", etc. you just have to watch to make sure the answer choice is not making a numbers/percentages error. Just thing of it as another thing on your mental checklist when approaching a question.
 Kmikaeli
|
So, we do not have to involve ourselves with the misconception here only care to paraphrase what was said as the correct answer choice and to see if the game includes a number, percentage, or numbers and percentages?
 Nicholas Bruno
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Right in my particular example, the numbers/percentages helps you eliminate an incorrect answer choice. Sometimes it may help you identify the right answer choice but (as you can see from the example), not always. Its basically just an additional thing to track through the question.
 Kmikaeli
|
I get it! Certain questions types that are meant to look at the misconception do so such as strengthening and weakening while the other question stems work how they always worked but now with numbers and percentages within the stimulus! So, a flaw in the reasoning question with numbers and percentages should try to find one of many flaws that are mentioned in the chapter for example general lack of relevant evidence with numbers and percentages.
 Nicholas Bruno
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Exactly! you got it!
 Kmikaeli
|
Thank you!
 Kmikaeli
|
I am seriously getting stuck on how to apply assumption questions to numbers and percentages.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.