LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

milanproda@me.com
|
Wow, I did not expect to see answer choice B as the Correct answer! :evil:

After reading the explanations, answer choice B did make sense.

However, my question is in regards to answer choice E. To me, E has a direct influence on the conclusion. The conclusion (1984 had a much influence on a great number of readers) is dependent on the answer to E. If 0 people had actually read the books they claim to have read, then 1984 could NOT have had an influence on the readers. If 1,000 people read the books, then 1984 could have had an influence.

Where am I going wrong here? Thank you. :mrgreen:
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
That's a great question, about a survey that asked people to list books that had influenced their lives. In evaluating this argument, why is answer choice E--which concerns how many people had actually read the books they listed--not helpful? because you don't have to read a book for it to have had influence on your life. There are probably many people, for example, who would list the bible as having influence on their lives, despite not having read it.

That's a tough one--let me know if it's clear--thanks!

~Steve
 milanproda@me.com
|
Steve, your point makes sense, but I don't buy it. An assumption such as the one you just posted seems too extreme. Your assumption means that people in the survey are actually lying, which would *theoritcally* make the survey untrue.

With that said, who cares how I look at it? No but me :D . All that matters is how the LSAT authors look at things. But do you not agree that assuming that people do not read the books that they claim to have influenced their lives the greatest is not a little extreme?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for your response. Take another look at the question--the survey did not ask people to list influential books that they had read; it did not even suggest that respondents had to have read the books.

I don't assume that people were lying on the survey--my point was that the question posed by the incorrect answer choice referenced--that of whether or not respondents happened to have read the books that they considered most influential--was not relevent to an evaluation of the argument.

Let me know whether that makes sense--thanks!

~Steve

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.