LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

akalsi
|
Hi,

I was wondering if you can clear up a difference between these two types of Flaws that can occur in a question.

I was reading the blog that talks about False Dilemma's and I got a bit confused. It gave an example about voters and their lack of support for a suggested amendment. Reading that example, I automatically thought of another type of flaw: Errors in the use of evidence. Could it be said that with the same example the author makes a reasoning error by saying that evidence of voters against a position is enough to prove that there is evidence of voters for a position?
Or is this pretty much still saying the same thing as a false dilemma? :-?

Could you please clarify this for me and explain how in that example that the flaw is a false dilemma instead of an error in the use of evidence?

Thanks,

Anoop

P.S. the Blog was entitled "Flaws in LSAT Logical Reasoning: False Dilemma" posted on April 17, 2013
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I wouldn't get too hung up on the labels, Anoop - I think it's fair to say that a False Dilemma IS a kind of evidence flaw, in that the author typically fails to consider additional alternatives, or that he uses evidence that doesn't necesarily lead to his conclusion. It's just a more specific kind of evidence flaw, where the author fails to consider either the third possiblity (things won't get larger/faster/better so they must get smaller/slower/worse, in each case ignoring the possibility that things will stay exactly the same) or the many other possibilities (X won't buy a Toyota so he must buy a Honda - but why not a Ford/Chevy/Hyundai/Citroen/Smart/Tesla/etc.) The labels we use are for our convenience and yours in studying - the LSAT won't test you on the correct use of those labels, but on your ability to understand the flaw and find the answer that correctly describes it, no matter what language is used to do so. Call it a false dilemma, an evidence flaw, or a ham sandwich - as long as you can recognize it when it's in front of you and can determine which answer best describes it, you're good to go.

Good luck!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.