LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

reop6780
|
My question is distinction between "example" and "premise."

I read the explanation about the answer B and why it is wrong - it is NOT example but premise.

I thought example could be used as premise, and zooplankton appeared to be an example in support of the conclusion.

What is example in LR, and how do I distinguish example from premise?

(my question is based upon the explanation on the pg 366 that the statement is not an example ... but rather another premise; hence, answer B is incorrect.)

- > Does this mean example cannot be used as premise?

I really want to figure this out specifically and clearly since method reasoning is my weakness. :cry:

I really re

I really r
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Reop,

It might be helpful for you to think of an example in this context as something that is not necessary to the conclusion. Rather, once the argument is already established, an example shows a single application of that argument. In contrast, a premise is going to be critical to the argument - without it, you have to make a logical leap to reach the conclusion.

In this question, the conclusion is about "declines in fish and seabird populations," so we need our premises to lead to the conclusion that fish and seabird populations are impacted broadly (not just one or two species). The premise that zooplankton feed upon phytoplankton, then, is critical in establishing the conclusion. A temperature change of two degrees limits the nutrients phytoplankton get, which means there are fewer phytoplankton for the zooplankton to eat, which impacts lots of different animals since zooplankton feed the rest of the food chain. Therefore, this is not a single example, but is rather a critical step in the chain of argumentation leading to the conclusion.

Hopefully that helps clear it up!
 reop6780
|
Is there possibility that a sentence followed by example indicators, for example, such as, for instance, could be a premise? Or, is it definitely used as an example?
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
reop6780 wrote:Is there possibility that a sentence followed by example indicators, for example, such as, for instance, could be a premise? Or, is it definitely used as an example?

Hello,

It might well just be an example, but it could just possibly be a premise, under some strange circumstance. E.g., if part of the stimulus says, "Life stinks; for example, people die", then something else in the stimulus concludes, "Because people die, there must be a funeral industry", then that would be a conclusion based on a premise that is also an example.
However, such things may be few and far between. :D

Hope that helps,
David
 kristinaroz93
|
But since we are saying something can be both a premise and example all in one (even if in the rare circumstance), why cant't this particular problem be that rare circumstance? While, yes, the sentence is crucial for the conclusion (making it a premise), it also seems to me an example of what happens when temperatures rise by 2 degrees.

(I am frustrated with this problem and how to see it from the lsat perspective, when I simply cannot! I feel as though I am forcing myself to view something as being one thing when I feel it is another, how could I overcome that for this problem (I really believe it is an example as well, and so B seems correct to me still)!
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Kristin,

I think the piece you are missing here is that B says it is intended to provide an example. You can definitely argue that, in practice, it is an example of how the vertical mixing of seawater affects feeding habits, but it was not intended as an example; that was not its purpose. Also keep in mind that you are not looking for a right answer, you are looking for the best answer. In this case, the real purpose and function of the statement is to function as a critical premise in making the argument. C is therefore the best answer. Hope that helps!
 kristinaroz93
|
How can we definitely say that it was not intended as an example? (I just want to 100 percent understand this problem)
 Ladan Soleimani
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Kristin,

We can know that the author did not intend for it to be used as an example because it is a critical piece of the argument. An example is additional information that illustrates the authors argument, but the argument should not rely on the example to work. In this argument, if the author had given a separate reason why the temperature changes would lead to declines in fish and seabird populations and then added the piece about zooplankton, it might have been intended as an example, but since it is crucial piece of the argument, the author intended for it to be a premise.

Also, look at the indicator words. Here, "since" is used, which signals a premise. An example is usually going to be pretty clearly there as an example, not just a fact of the argument.

Does that help?
Ladan

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.