LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Kmikaeli
|
I understand that in Assumption questions we determine the assumption that is necessary in order for the conclusion to be made valid. There are two ways to determine such assumptions which are defender or supporter. I know that the assumption negation technique negates the assumption in order to establish a weaken type question, but how do we truly know which one will weaken the argument the most? In order to use this technique we must first understand the argument as a whole so as to know that negating a certain answer choice would either really cause havoc to the argument or not. Is this correct?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Kmikaeli,

Basically you have the gist of it :-D I wouldn't say there are two ways to determine the assumption, but rather two roles that assumptions can play—Supporter or Defender. a small wording distinction, but an important difference in perspective.

How do we know which one will weaken the argument the most? that goes back to our ability to weaken arguments in general. this is why we examine Weaken questions before we address Assumptions!

Last, yes, you are correct that you want to understand the whole argument as well as possible, just as you would for any argument. If you understand the argument pretty well, it helps to see which answer, when negated, then undermines that argument.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.