LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
We recently received the following questions from a student. An instructor will respond below. Thanks!
I am confused by 2 problems in the Statement Negation Drill in the Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible. The correct answers given in the book for number 7 and 9 seem to contradict the rule about negating conditional statements. Would you mind explaining to me why I am negating these statements incorrectly?

7. Statement: If the policy is implemented, the education budget will be cut.
My negated statement: If the policy is implemented, the education MIGHT not be cut.
Answer given in book: If the policy is implemented the education WILL not be cut.

9. Statement: Unless the stock market rebounds, the economy will not recover this year.
My negated statement: If the stock market does not rebound, the economy MIGHT not recover this year.
Answer given in the book: " " WILL not recover this year.
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Note that in the answer key for #7, the explanation says "Negate the necessary condition using 'will not' or 'might not'." Although the explanation for #9 doesn't repeat the acceptability of "might not", it's also acceptable there, so there is nothing wrong with your answers!

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.