LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

lsatstudent23
|
Hi, I'm a little confused when I compare two answer explanations.

The first question is the modern navigation system question and answer "E) Planes were first equipped with low-power circuitry at about the same time portable electronic devices became popular" does not strengthen the argument. This makes sense to me because two events occurring at the same time doesn't mean that one has to cause the other.

But then on pg. 338 for the question about MBTE causing headaches, I don't understand how answer "C) Since the time when gasoline containing MBTE was first introduced in a few metropolitan areas, those areas reported an increase in the number of complaints about headaches, fatigue, and shortness of breath" does strengthen the argument. If headaches started increasing at the time of MBTE being introduced, how could we say that one causes the other?

Thank you in advance!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lsatstudent,

Good question, thanks! It's also a great opportunity to compare how LSAC constructs answers so you can see the clues they give going forward.

• With the plane/electronics answer, note how they simply introduce that the two things came into being at the same time but nothing further is stated about any connection, it's simply a time similarity. And that timing similarity isn't enough to think one causes the other.

Now compare that to the MBTE answer: what's different here? You guessed it, there's an actual result occurring that is discussed. So, they have the time similarity but also a LOT more info on what happened, and that difference is enough to help strengthen the argument.

Another good way to think about these answers would be to place yourself in the speaker's shoes (as if you were making the argument in the stimulus). How would you respond/receive each answer? In the plane question it's not really all that helpful to proving your point that we'll have issues with electronics since it doesn't connect things happening, whereas with the MBTE question you could use that answer to make a stronger connection.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 lsatstudent23
|
Thank you, this definitely helps clear it up!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.