LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

est15
|
Hi,

I have a question about the politician problem on p 185-187 of the Logical Reasoning Bible. I'm having trouble determining when I should paraphrase, especially when two phrases aren't perfectly equivalent. Are there times that I should be looking out for when the test makers want me to paraphrase, and how do I avoid paraphrasing something so that it doesn't become too off the mark?

Thanks.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Est,

Thanks for the question. I need to get a clarification from you before I can answer. Do you mean paraphrasing what the stimulus says, or prephrasing, as in prephrasing a possible correct answer choice?

Please let me know, thanks!
 est15
|
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response.

I meant paraphrasing the stimulus as in on page 186 when it says "the phrase 'nation wants to maintain its value system and way of life' is a very rough equivalent of 'not wind up in a strategically disadvantageous position' and 'not lose a voice in world affairs.'" I'm wondering if there any clues that tell me when I should be making this type of assumption (i.e. assuming that two phrases which don't exactly mean the same thing are indeed equivalent). I'm afraid that I'll start paraphrasing in places that I shouldn't be and making chains of reasoning that are incorrect.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Est,

Thanks for the reply. I look at this as a situation where the stimulus forced me to paraphrase, and really, maybe the most accurate description is that the stimulus forced me to identify the near equivalent of some of the terms being discussed.

That said, a situation like this one would come up when you have a lot of similar terms in play, and you can tell there is some type of connection, but nothing is an identically-phrased fit. That's when rough equivalents would be likely have to be drawn.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 est15
|
Hi Dave,

That answers my question. Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.