LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

kalifaingold
|
Hello, I am really struggling and looking for some advice.
I just finished reading Chapter 6 on conditional reasoning and am doing the sufficient and necessary question problem set but I am not able to complete them. When I read the explanations I understand how to do them but when I first look at a problem I am lost at how to diagram them. I don't know what to do!
Like answer A to question 2 in the problem set makes sense when the subscript is "drivers with a large number of demerit points who additionally have been convicted of a serious driving-related offence" but I would have not known to put the subscript there hence why I struggled so much until I read the explanation.
Question 1 I was able to do because I could clearly see the conditionals but when it gets a little complicated with multiple conditionals I get totally lost. What should I do?
I even feel like if I didn't try to see the conditionals and just did what made sense I would have gotten the answer with less of a headache. :cry:
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Kalifaingold,

First, you are not alone. In my humble opinion, conditional reasoning is the single biggest challenge the LSAT has to offer most test-takers. Here are some tips:

1) Make some simple, real-life examples of if-then statements. Make sure the statements are true in real life. Then, try to diagram them. Notice that the contrapositives are also true, but the mistaken reversals and mistaken negations are not necessarily true statements. One of my examples is: If it's snowing, it's 32 degrees or less. This is a helpful exercise because the LSAT combines a tricky concept (conditionals) with dense passages. It's best to practice conditionals with easy language until you get the hang of them. That's why Powerscore uses so many examples with easy language.

2) Multiple conditionals shouldn't be any harder than a single conditional. You just need to go slower. As you read each sentence (or part of a sentence), check whether it can be rephrased as an if-then statement. If it can, it's a conditional. Also review Lesson 2 in the coursebook for the indicator words, the words that indicate the sufficient and necessary components.

3) Diagramming is most necessary when multiple conditionals are present or if the conditional is particularly complex. If, as you mention, you read a stimulus and it's clear without diagramming, it's perfectly fine not to diagram. Diagramming is a great tool, but not always for every single problem involving conditional reasoning.

4) Spend more time on this topic. It is okay to spend a ton more time on conditional reasoning because it is a fundamental concept on the LSAT. I promise, all your effort will feel well-spent when you get that Eureka moment when the concept just seems clearer to you.

Good luck!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.